TI 10 and DDS hangs on Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flekstor, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

TI 10 build 4942 hangs when I try to perform a backup of My Computer (C drive). It also hangs when I try to create a task that backups My Computer (directly after selecting backup type My Computer and press Next). However, I can create a task if I select My Data as Backup type.

The Disk Directory Suite also hangs when I try to start it (I killed it when it was up to 300 MB). It consumes more and more memory but the main window never opens.

When trying to run the backup tool in Vista I get the error code 0x80071A91 but the suggestion here doesn't help:
    http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/alexark/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=5

Running Vista Premium OEM updated with windows update. 2 GB RAM and a TI 7200 Core 2 Duo.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

At least you're one of the lucky ones who got TI to install on a Vista system without any problems. But to try solving your problem, make the bootable TI cd, boot with it, and try the MyComputer backup from its menu.

3. flekstor

Yes I had no problem at all to install it but I tried to make a backup when booting from a CD made from an 4871 build but it didn't work either.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

To be fair, you should re-make the boot CD now that you have build 4942.

5. ironmantexas

ironmantexas Registered Member

Many Vista problems are solved by upgrading to build 3887. I had no problem installing and backing up, but few of the restore or image mounting worked with an older build of 9.1--I had to use the bootable CD for everything.

I also had to use the bootable CD to repartition C drive wihh Disk Director, shrinking beyond the size allowed by Vista "shrink volume" command.

Remember that Acronis is basically a Linux developer's package, so it navigates Windows like a foreign country. Using the boot CD allows it to manipulate Windows from "across the border," speaking its own language. It seems as they release new builds, however, they get more fluent in the "Microsoft Windows tongue."

6. ironmantexas

ironmantexas Registered Member

What I forgot to include int eh last post was the both Backup and Mount Image from Secure Zone worked much better from within Vista using build 3887--not yet perfect, but 95% effective. Keep at least two bootable CDs around, don't lose them, just in case.

Just about everything requires external CD for full partition or drive ops anyway. Microsoft has made it very difficult to manipulate a drive directly with Windows, even with .NET framework tools. Even manufactures who have to install Vista or XP on mass computers have real trouble getting the OS to come up, hiring many software gurus just to install on their OEM machines. I know, I used to do this for HP, find ways to install Windows on thousands of boxes from a server. Even with Microsoft's help and permission, it ain't easy.

7. flekstor

build 3887 of vista or what do you mean? I have already installed all the available updates for vista.

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What sort of computer do you have. The CPU doesn't matter nearly as much as the motherboard brand and model or the computer brand and model, whether you have SATA drives, a RAID array, what video chipset, etc.

Do you have other USB devices plugged into your computer when you try to make the backup. If so, unplug all of them (except mouse and keyboard), and try the backup. Sometimes USB devices do odd things to TI.

9. flekstor

I have tried both with USB disk connected and disconnected with the same result. The only other USB device I have is a mouse and now I even tried to remove that (using the key pad since it's a lap top) but it doesn't help.

10. flekstor

C:\>fsutil resource info C:\
    Fel: Transaktionsstödet i det angivna filsystemets resurshanterare har inte startats eller avslutades på grund av ett fel.

Translated to English Vista tells me C:\ have no resource manager, why is that? Is this a service that should have been started?

C:\>fsutil resource start C:\
    Error: Access denied

11. flekstor

I can see the below in the event viewer, any ideas?

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Ntfs

- EventID 137

[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level 2

Task 2

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flekstor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also try performing the backup using the latest build (4942) of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. flekstor

14. flekstor

After rebooting I have a resource manager on all drives, I have verified that with the commands:
    fsutil resource info C:\
    fsutil resource info D:\
    fsutil resource info E:\

But when starting TI or DDS the resource manager on C:\ dies.

15. flekstor

I tried out Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 Professional since I still have the same problem with TI and DDS. It shows me that I have some problem with my C and D partitions on disk 0. I attach a screen shot how it looks and hopes somebody can tell me what to do to fix this problem.

Attached Files:

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flekstor,

Please check your e-mail filters for the registration e-mail.

If you are still unable to find it, lease use this form to submit the support request with data requested in my previous post; and another support request regarding the registration issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

17. flekstor

I've managed to solve this problem myself now. I had a bootable Ubuntu CD so I used it and took a look at the disk with the partition tool in Ubuntu. I should have had two partitions, C and D, but instead I had 4. First one 8GB partition then a big 60 GB partition used as C, another 8GB and finally another some 60 GB used as E.

I suspect that the problem was caused by the disk utility in Vista. I have used it to shrink the C partition and it looks like it shrinked it by 2*8GB and somewhat messed it up. But even if the problem probably was caused by Vista I think it would be nice if the Acronis apps wouldn't hang and consume more and more memory. Since the problem is gone now I cannot trouble shoot this further but perhaps you can figure out what the problem is.

Btw, after creating a NTFS partition in the first free and invisible 8 GB space on the disk drive I was able to start both DDS and TI so I could perform a backup and reformat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.