TI 10 #4942 CD doesn't boot on Santa Rosa notebook

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by magnum80, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnum80

magnum80 Registered Member

Hi Forum!
    I tried the search and found many useable tips about imaging and restoring Vista partitions. But I am stuck even one step before and couldn't find a solution here.

I would like to make an image from my new Sony VGN-CR11S (Santa Rosa platform) by using the recovery ATI #4942 CD.

My problem is that the CD won't boot into the full version mode. Only the save mode (sorry, but I have to translate the German terms into English) works from the recovery CD. But then I don't have USB or network-share support to do my image backup. Does that have to do with the new Santa Rosa Chipset and the Controller? Or is it because my Sony has a 2nd partition for an instant-on media player (linux-based)? I doubt it, as the ATI save mode boots an shows both partitions.

I read in the web that a guy with a Dell Santa Rosa notebook had troubles too with booting from the recovery CD. But he succeeded as it only was an acpi=off noapic error message or smth.

But my Sony stops at the "Acronis Loader, please wait...." screen. Any ideas?

Will there be a new build soon with improved Santa Rosa support and hopefully Vista support as well (at least it got announced in the vista discussion thread). It's been a while since the last update (03-2007).

I am looking forward to hearing any ideas how I can backup my Sony Vaio notebook using ATI recovery CD (I only do backups that way, never from the OS itself). Or can you recommend other tools that offer recovery CDs that can also create images and not just only restore them?
    Would a downgrade to an earlier TI version make sense?

Thanks a lot in advance! This forum and its tech saavy users are super helpful and awesome!

Greetz
    magnum80

P.S: A bit off topic. Is there a chance to backup mac partitions using ATI recovery CD or ubuntu partitions? A friend got his first mac and was asking if I knew a good backup tool. As I only know Windows and ATI I couldn't help him.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  3. magnum80

1st, thanks for your reply :)

Yep, I get to that screen. And when I choose safe mode it works. When I choose full mode I get stuck at the screen after that (black screen with the Acronis logo in the upper left corner with the message "please wait...").

I found a manual here in the forum for a BartPE CD. Gonna try that one.
    I'll report how it works out.

Thanks!!!

4. magnum80

Here is my update.

### Using bartPE CD ###
    I created a bartPE CD (my first bartPE CD ever). That was a really easy thing to do, thanks for the great manual Mustang!!!

I conntected my USB HDD before booting from bartPE CD (otherwise it would not get recognized later). I could then make a backup from my Sony Vaio HDD to the USB HDD using the Acronis bartPE pluging from the booted bartPE CD. Very nice.
    The image files seems to be ok (file size is reasonable). But I still have to check the image file just to make sure.
    Thanks people for the advice using the bartPE CD with the Acronis plugin!

### Error log using the "real" TI 10 home boot CD ###
    But still I would prefer the "real" TI boot CD to work. So here is the screen from my notebook with the boot up protocol of the full version.
    The last three lines are:
    $ /bin/insmod floppy
    Using /lib/modules/floppy.o
    inserting floppy driver for 2.4.34-acronis

Then it stops loading... Any idea what's wrong or how I can circumvent that?

If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful. Hopefully Acronis will spend a lot of efforts making the next release compatible with current hardware and erase all the Vista issues.

Greetz
    magnum80

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello magnum80,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try adding "floppy=off" parameter after a space after "acpi=off noapic".

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and Windows system information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please be aware that officially none of the current version of Acronis True Image supports Macintosh computers and, therefore, we cannot guarantee that Acronis software will work correctly on them. Most likely future versions will support it. We regret to inform you that we cannot tell the exact time-frame when that will be implemented.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.