TI 10.0, build 4940 Breaks Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by luceyg, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luceyg

luceyg Registered Member

When performing a search for any file without a .tib extension, Windows Explorer would sometimes freeze the search process and display and error message as shown below which was difficult to close. I found a solution.

Archive Open Error,
    Plug-in is not found (0x1B0003)
    token = "PlaceBrowser"
    Tag - 0xAC6EA1C1803F7BRC

This problem is on the internet in many countries and discussed extensively in Wilders Security Forums. I resolved this problem on my PC which is running WinXp Pro and Acronis True Image 10 build 4940.

I turned to My Computer, high lighted the DRIVE letter which contains a subfolder housing the ATI backup .tib file, opened Properties for the Drive, unchecked the permission to "Allow Indexing Service to index the hard drive for fast file searching." On the ensuing pop-up I selected the option to apply to all folders and files on the entire Drive. The uninstall took some time and once finished I reversed the process and reinstalled the permission to the entire drive and all folders and sub folders. There was no change in the error message until I REBOOTED.

also, to reduce the extraordinary length of time required for searches in Explorer when it encountered the .tib backup I high lited the folder containing the ATI backup file and removed the Indexing Service permission for that specific folder and all files and subfolders therein.

2. Kritker

Kritker Registered Member

I am experiencing the same problem - the same error message and incredibly slow archive and archive validation times but on a D-Link DNS-323 NAS. The fix you suggested doesn't work for me because there is no way to turn on/off indexing on this drive.

A normal copy from my computer to this NAS occurs at speeds around 2 MB/sec whereas a TI 10.0/4940 archive occurs at under 20 KB/sec.

Any ideas?

3. luceyg

luceyg Registered Member

Kritker

Regarding my Fix announcement:
    1. I am sorry to say that my "fix" to uninstall and reinstall the Indexing Service did not turn out to be a "complete" cure for the appearance of error messages, but only a significant improvement.

2. I was also wrong that the actual search of a .tib file using Windows Explorer could be speeded up. Lots of later checks showed I could not do it.

3. Lately I have come to believe the only ways to avoid the error message entirely and/or to speed up the search of a .tib file are to:

3a) Keep the Windows Explorer search engine away from that drive and use the Acronis True Image engine to search the file;

3b) Uninstall True Image and reinstall an earlier build or version.

3c) Wait for Acronix to provide a free fix. I am definitely reluctant to buy a new Verion 11 without knowing this has been fixed.

Regarding your problem:
    4. To speed up the backup and verification operation, did you try booting only to the Emergency Boot CD and activating Acronis True Image backup and verification options from there rather than after a complete boot to Windows?

5. I once had a different external backup drive than you are using and I chucked it because of being so slow (not just on Acronis). I instead removed one of my 2 CD/DVD RW drives and put another hard drive on the cable to act as backup only. The Acronis backup time for my 120 GB hard drives seems to be reasonably comparable to that required for a WinXP Pro backup (I keep both as a precaution).

4. Kritker

Kritker Registered Member

I couldn't get a version 10 Emergency Boot CD to work so I haven't tried it with 11. One of my two 2 licences is an upgrade (free because just purchased) so I may just use 10 until 11 is fixed. Except that 10 still needs work too :mad: .

I have found this network drive to be reasonably fast, except on Acronis validations. Even the backups are't too bad if I increase the priority from "low" to, day, "normal". I have been concerned, so far, with the backups. Now I have to see what happens on a restore.

The network drive serves several computers in the house, is hidden so that a thief might not find it and is mirrored (RAID 1) so I can swap one drive out of the backup and store it off-site.

5. luceyg

luceyg Registered Member

Kritker

Having been through blue screens of death and malware that affects the ability to boot, the first thing I practiced over and over when I purchased Acronis True Image was to recover without the ability to boot to Windows.
    Otherwise, what good is the backup if I cannot get to it during a crash? I had to install the right drivers to see my DVDCD during boot, and then I just used my F8 key to redirect the boot to the to the Emergency Boot disc

I am sorry to hear that version 11 also has the problem.

luceyg

6. luceyg

luceyg Registered Member

kritker

To speed up the validation process, try rebooting after backup and then validate. Let me know how that works.

On my PC after backup with Acronis True Image everything slows down unless I reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.