TI 10.0, build 4940 Breaks Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RIFreedom, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retread

retread Registered Member

I have TI home 10.0, build 4871, and have experienced problems as well.

When I attempted to install Acronis on my wife's WinXP (sp2), it caused Windows to crash. Unable to repair (spent better part of whole day trying everything).

Final solution: Swapped HDDs for C: and D: drive, did a clean install of WinXP on former slave. Now I need to know if I can transfer my files and settings from the old C: (now D:) to the new C: using Acronis, or must I use WinXPs F.A.S.T.? >>>> When I attempt to pose this question to tech support on another computer, the screen freezes after I click on "Submit". This is not giving me a good impression of Acronis.<<<<<<

2. rebop

rebop Registered Member

OK, I have exactly the same problem, but more information. I am currently upgrading to a new computer, so while making the cut over, I have TI10 on two machines momentarily. 4942 on the old machine and 4940 on the new.

The new machine has this exact error.

BUT, look in the registry on this machine under HKLM\software\acronis\formatik\plugins and look at the keys. More than half say "Cannot open....error while opening key" This is DEFINIOTELY the problem. Why it is, I do not know, but this is twhat causes the error seacrhing and editing locations.

I am going to install 4942 over the top and see if it helps.

~Bob

3. rebop

rebop Registered Member

More:

TI10 4942 will not install over 4940 now. It balks installing into tthat above mentioned key and says it does not have permission to write to that key in the regisitry.

I set all permissions I could and no go.

So, I exprted that key from a working registry and it will not allow me to add it either. The plugin key is locked tight and now I have no TI that works.

Trying to uninstall and reinstall.

It is most DEFINITELY this key that is the problem.

~Bob

4. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Uninstall and reboot removed that key. Now defragging and will try a reinstall.

~Bob

5. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Installed 4942 and the reg keys and search work. BUT, I deleted my tibs before installing and have no backup location yet.

Will configure and run now.

Back soon...

~Bob

6. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Ran a backup, performed a search afterwards and problem is back again. Same registry keys locked again as well.

This is a problem. With the new information, can we get a bit of help?

Thanks.

~Bob

7. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Just to be very clear, an unistall, reinstall solves the search and reg key locking problems until the first backup is run. Then they break again. So somehow the process of running the backup is locking the reg keys.

~Bob

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Bob:

It sounds like you're on to something. Acronis monitors this forum but it may take them a while to find and read this thread. I suggest that you go to their web site and submit an official problem report, referring them to this thread.

On my machine, which is not exhibiting these symptoms and is using TI Home 10 build 4942, I find the HKLM\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\Plugins key has the following permissions set:

Administrators -- Full control + read
    Creator Owner -- Special Permissions --> Subkeys only --> allow everything
    Power Users -- Read, Special Permissions --> Key and subkeys --> (all allowed EXCEPT Full control, Create Link, Write DAC, Write Owner)
    System -- Full control + read
    Users -- Read

9. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Will do. I'd like to see this one solved quickly.

~Bob

10. rebop

rebop Registered Member

See if this helps anyone. I am sure it is related. From my Event Viewer:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Acronis Test Program
    Event Category: (14)
    Event ID: 3
    Date: 6/23/2007
    Time: 11:11:58 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: REBOP
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( Acronis Test Program ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Member not found (0xE0003)
    token = "Fomatik.DataWalkerDynamic.Host"
    Tag = 0x298D61E7C0088C31.

From my attempt to install 4942 over 4940:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11402
    Date: 6/23/2007
    Time: 10:18:43 PM
    User: REBOP\XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Computer: REBOP
    Description:
    Product: Acronis*True*Image*Home -- Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\Plugins\ISOMediaPlace. System error 1450. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 34 31 39 43 46 33 34 {419CF34
    0008: 34 2d 33 44 39 34 2d 34 4-3D94-4
    0010: 44 41 44 2d 39 39 43 38 DAD-99C8
    0018: 2d 45 41 37 42 30 30 45 -EA7B00E
    0020: 35 45 41 38 42 7d 5EA8B}

~Bob

11. rebop

rebop Registered Member

Now I can no longer backup. TI 10 fails almost instantly and can not access the plugins folder.

Ready for help here. I did PM Acronis to read this thread.

~Bob

12. rebop

rebop Registered Member

OK. 90% sure I have it fixed. Unfortunately, I did two things aat once on a new uninstall / reinstall, so I can't be sure which it is. But...

I had been installing "for this user only". This time I installed "for all users".

And, after install and before use, I installed the updated snapapi.dll.

Did three backups, registry work and searches work.

Whew. A lot of hours into this one.

Now to fix the rundll problem with Logitech Mouseware on my new computer :^) Butthat's for another forum.

~Bob

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As far as I can see you have resolved the issue with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

Would like to mention that as k0lo mentioned permissions for the below branches should be set as "Full Control" for SYSTEM account and your account:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. rebop

rebop Registered Member

No problem on "delayed response". I was not expecting support over the weekend.

Point, though is, that once a backup had been run, there was no way to even access those registry keys to change permissions. Something in TI was locking them. Perhaps the isntall for all users instead of just me changed that. Perhaps snapapi.dll. But it works now. But interesting to note the keys were unlocked after install, then locked after first backup. So something is likely amiss in TI.

~Bob

15. Volusia

Volusia Registered Member

I get this error when trying to run ATI build 4942 (first install). If I chose in
    Create backup wizard option "My Data" or option "My Application Settings" or option "My E-mail" this is what I get:
    "Plug-in is not found. (0x1B0003)
    token = "URI"
    Tag = 0xAC6EA1C1803F7BFC"

ONLY option that works is "My computer" so I can back-up partitions ..and nothing else!

I would really appreciate any help in this matter.

16. Volusia

Did uninstall / reinstall first time I started Acronis same error message as in the above post. ?!?

17. Volusia

After reinstall I CAN'T change permissions in registry. It shows as set as "Full Control" for System and Administrator but it won't let you do any changes.

18. Volusia

Where do I get that updated snapapi.dll ?

19. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Try this link Acronis drivers.

20. Volusia

Thanks! I did install it and I could access the program! I thought problem solved (I did not actually did a backup just accessed the "My Data" option). Then guess what? Same error again.

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Volusia,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try uninstalling Acronis True Image, rebooting the computer, and then installing again with "For all users" option.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also clarify, when exactly does the error appear?

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

22. Johnfornow

Johnfornow Registered Member

Being plagued bij the very same problem, I did as you suggested, but no luck again I'm afraid.
    I reinstalled TI, ran the SnapApi setup and copied the dll to system32.
    As a bonus I also had a Archive Open Error (0x40000D), Tag=0xDF2F9CA66CD2F546.

23. AlanMintaka

AlanMintaka Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Now I'm getting the same errors everyone here is describing, this time with build 4942.

FWIW I've observed that if I can get the thing working again via uninstall, reboot, reinstall of build 4942, it breaks as soon as I use Windows Explorer to search the host drive for files.

When Explorer tries to search inside an Acronis archive, the "PlaceBrowser" error occurs. After that, I can't access the Formatik Plug-ins registry key to change permissions. Even if I start at the Acronis branch and set the subkeys permissions there, I still can't look in the Formatik Plug-ins key.

There is a very important difference in my situation. The first time this happened, I tried to open Acronis and browse the archives from there. When I did I got a BSOD.

Upon system restart, Windows XP sent an error report to Microsoft. Then my browser opened and I got a message from MS telling me that the fault was in the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition service that runs on my system. I was then taken to an Intel site to download a patch for the Accelerator.

I installed the patch and this fixed the BSOD problem when trying to explore an archive in Acronis - BUT the "PlaceBrowser" error is STILL THERE.

The reason this difference is important is because users of TI 11 are reporting that they can't see their RAID drives at all in TI 11.

So here is another problem somehow involving RAID drives and their associated drivers. Coincidence?

Beats me. All I know is that I'm having the same problem everyone with build 4940 is having with the "PlaceBrowser" error and so far I see no fix for it anywhere.

And now one of my RAID drivers is figuring into it somehow.

I think if I can get access to those archives again, the first thing I'm going to do is restore whats in there to another drive. One BSOD with this program is one too many.

Have a good one,
    Big Al Mintaka

UPDATE: Now it's happening on another PC. Sure enough, it started when I tried to search the host drive with Windows Explorer. When it got to the Acronis archives, the "PlaceBrowser" error appeared.

Thus far, the specs for the two affected systems are:

1. Dell Dimension 8300 3.2GHz 1GB RAM
    HD: 350GB, 100GB free (2 drives, roughly same usage)
    USB HD: 350GB, 100GB free (2 external drives)
    Acronis: Build 4942

2. Dell Dimension 8400 3.2GHz 1GB RAM
    HD: 350GB, 100GB free (2 drives, roughly same usage)
    USB HD: 350GB, 100GB free (2 external drives)
    Acronis: Build 4942

i.e., pretty much the same except one is a Dimension 8300 and one is an 8400.

Time to collapse now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.