Thunderbird's lazy trash cans

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 15, 2023.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When I delete a received email message, I want T-bird to delete that message on the server. Instead, T-bird puts the deleted email into a trash can & just leaves it there. :mad:

QUESTIONS:

Q1-When I empty T-bird's trash cans, does T-bird then delete those messages on the server?

Q2-If answer to Q1 is "No," then WHEN does T-bird delete emails on the server?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@bellgamin
    Hi,
    It depends on which protocol you are using :
    POP : doesn't delete on the server, apart of if you've got a option on your server
    IMAP: Delete message both in thunderbird and online account, you just have to tell thunderbird to empty trash when closed
    Go to thunderbird Parameters of the account, server setttings, and scroll down to found the option "empty trash when closed"
    If you re using live, outlook, hotmail, deleted message are still recoverable for xDays.

3. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

'Empty Trash On Exit' if you use IMAP

DeleteMe.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  4. bellgamin

Thanks to @Rules & @DjKilla -- Thank you very much for the information. I use POP3 so -- I have some work to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After a bit of work...

HERE is a very interesting Mozila Q&A article regarding T-bird deleting messages on the server, IMAP versus POP3.

My support guy stated that T-bird will delete messages on server IF I do not select T-bird's option to leave messages on the server.

I looked and found that I HAD selected "leave messages on the server." I just now unselected that check box for all my email accounts. I will check tomorrow to find out if messages actually ARE deleted on the server when I download them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Bill,
    Allow me maybe to get a bit off topic.
    That article mentions:
    Here is an article about compacting folders:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/compacting-folders

6. bellgamin

Hola FanJ :thumb::thumb::thumb: I wish you would visit more often! :-* I read the article that you linked, about compacting folders. I adjusted T-bird's settings accordingly. I also cut&pasted a copy of that article into my reference files.

As to the "Until I delete them -- that option is a sub-set of "Leave Messages on Server" -- that is, "Until I delete them" is unselectable unless "Leave Messages on Server" IS checked. I had both of those options checked before. In other words I wanted to leave messages on the server until I myself deleted them. Those 2 options work together just fine for IMAP but not for POP3.

As stated earlier, I use POP3. So I had to uncheck "Leave Messages on Server" because the only time that T-bird will delete POP3 messages on server is when it downloads them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To all T-bird users of POP3: By actual test, unchecking "Leave Messages on Server" DOES work -- the messages actually are deleted on the server, when downloaded ("received") by T-bird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.