Thunderbird, latest version and 'leave mail on server' issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Thunderbird 45.8.0.

A question for those who know this product reasonably well, I started using it about two months ago and something weird just happened ...

When I activated thunderbird today, I got a whole bunch of emails ... OLD emails ... that I had already received. Maybe it's an ISP issue.

Something about the settings. I'm used to not leaving emails on the server of the ISP after downloading them.

Basically, under 'account settings', there is an option to leave emails on the server and it is ticked. (I'm inclined to believe that it shouldn't be, but what do I know?). Below that, 'for xxx days', and 'till I remove them'. With these settings, will the emails stay on the server after I download them or not ?
    (one could wonder about that last option ...)

2. itman

itman Registered Member

The latest T-Bird ver. is 52.3. I would start by updating to that first.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@itman ,

I did. That's the trouble after restoring an image, one may forget.

But the very same settings are present in the most recent version. I'm just not sure what they mean.

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

@Fly...I am no expert. I can tell you I have used T-Bird since it's earliest days. I untick 'Leave on server'. To me it indicates your mail will not remain on server after you upload it. Tick box and you can upload and mail will remain. How long is determined by choosing with the available option and/or how much storage is allowed by your server/provider. As far as delete goes understand when you delete messages from T-Bird they can be recovered if when given the option to 'Compact' you respond with cancel. Compact at that point and things get cleaned up in the manner you were hoping for.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Rainwalker ,

So basically I need to untick the ´leave messages on server´ ? That´s what I always had with previous clients. But Thunderbird is a suite, and obviously I was not asked what I wanted when I installed the program ...

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Yes, if you want them off the server after you have moved them to your device. T-Bird is no longer a suite.

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

What happened is, when you activated Thunderbird it synced itself with your server, any emails it didn't have locally it downloaded them, that included messeges that were marked as read on the email server but were never deleted.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Rainwalker ,

Then it's just an omission on my part when I installed Thunderbird. To me, and compared to the previous clients I used, Thunderbird feels like a suite ...

@RockLobster ,

I think there was a problem with my ISP. What they do with your emails ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.