Thunderbird 3.1.2 + NOD32 EAV 4.2.64.12 = triple email

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by preditcon, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preditcon

preditcon Registered Member

Ever since the last update, which is supposed to be TB 3.1.2 compatible, my incoming mail is getting tripled. The culprit is the ESET Smart Security Extension 4.2.64.12 (verified by disabling it; the problem persists only when this add-on is enabled). I've tried to fiddle with email client protection settings, reinstalling both applications, etc. but to no avail. It's a minor thingy yet quite annoying. Help appreciated. Using Windows 7, 32bit (also the same problem on the 64bit box), IMAP.
    If additional information is needed, do tell.

2. Pokin

Pokin Registered Member

I also have some Thunderbird users receiving triple or duplicate messages. I get this for inbox and sent messages in IMAP. There seem to be some lag as Nod32 sends duplicate message(s) a fews seconds later after modifying its header. Over the past frustrating months of troubleshooting inconsistent occurrences of duplicate emails (in one case, infinitely replicating emails), I have pinpointed the culprit as Nod32. I never suspected Nod32 and was on the verge of ditching our mailserver software.

After reading this thread --> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=242803&highlight=duplicate emails (seems related), disabling 'email client integration' seems to solve it for me. However, this is not a viable option - since this effectively disables email scanning.

It appears that this issue has been around for a while and ESET really should escalate resolution at the highest level. In the meantime, I am pulling my hair out and users are doing the same. Any workarounds?

Edit: Downgrading to v2.7 seems ok

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. preditcon

The Thunderbird 3.1.3 update did not help with my problem. Like Pokin said, there is a half a second lag between the three messages. I've disabled all other add-ons in TB (it's an almost out of the box install, except for some plugins which were suggested by TB 3.1.2 installer), but it did not help. This is no longer just annoying. It's quite hard to concentrate on the important email if you have three of everything (not just in the inbox, sent mail also and even in drafts). And what's worse..I can not create a filter to filter out only one of the messages.
    I've disabled the Eset add-on for the time being.

4. Pokin

Pokin Registered Member

...bump.

5. dprylows

dprylows Registered Member

I'm seeing the same problem.

6. madcatc1

madcatc1 Registered Member

newer Thunderbird no change

Hi,

here the same.

-Thunderbird 3.1.5
    -NOD32 64bit 4.2.64.12
    -Win7 Ultimate x64

Mailserver:

Mailtraq 2.16.1.2930 as IMAP-server

error is reproduceable while copy one mail to another folder.

sincerelys yours,

Heiko Wagner

7. preditcon

Updated to 4.2.67.10 and nothing changed. It seems none of the developers are interested in fixing this for us. I must say that I'm quite disappointed.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What mail server software is used? Could you create a test account for us? Does setting email protection to scan only incoming email make a difference?

9. Geron

Geron Registered Member

I'm having the same issue (though only duplicates no trippling)

Thunderbird 3.1.8
    NOD32 Antivirus 4.2.64.12'
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Running Dovecot as IMAP mail server. If I have NOD32's e-mail-scan enabled i get duplicate mails, where one mail is marked as deleted. Its not just a presentation issue. Checking my Maildir on the server, the original mail gets duplicated (i.e. two files with the same mail content).

Disabling NOD32 and the duplication stops.

10. saturnjct

saturnjct Registered Member

A user in my office is having the same problem right now. We've traced it to Thunderbird message filters that are moving messages from the Inbox into other folders on the IMAP server. In our case we're only experiencing a duplication of the email.

Thunderbird 3.1.3, 3.1.8 and 3.1.9
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2.71.2
    Windows 7 Professional (32-bit)

We can consistently trigger the behaviour by creating a test filter that moves a selected message to a test folder.

The previous version of ESET that the user was using wasn't displaying the problem. Unfortunately I don't know what the exact version number was.

I'm planning on downgrading the user to ESET NOD32 4.0 and testing again before opening an issue with support.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would it be possible to create a test account for me (ESET) and supply me with the configuration details?

Thunderbird v3 was first supported in 4.2. Disabling integration with TB would have the same effect as downgrading to v. 4.0 in terms of IMAP checking in TB.

12. saturnjct

I'll check with my co-workers to see if it would be possible to create an account. I can also provide you with an installer that includes our configuration, produced from our Remote Admin Server.

I should mention that I just made a customer service request Case #663754 for this problem.

Another nugget of information is that filters that move messages off of the IMAP server to a local folder do not exhibit the same behavior of creating a duplicate message.

And, hoping I'm not sounding too suspicious, but how do I know you're *really* an ESET employee?

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

:rolleyes: I can assure you he is. But then who am I to say?:D

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Because he is GREEN, and named ESET Moderator :shifty:

15. saturnjct

I have an IMAP account set up for you Marcos. I'll private message you the details.

16. Remon_Zarafa

Remon_Zarafa Registered Member

Hi.

We (at zarafa.com) have debugged this, as it also happens when you run Thunderbird 3.1.9 with NOD32-V4.2 and you use our groupware collaboration platform that has a compleet IMAP implementation.

This is what Thunderbird with NOD integration does. We hope it will help ESET+Mozilla to fix this.

==

* status changed from new to in_QA
    Invalid: Thunderbird/NOD32 seems to just create each message twice after opening it.

It uses the APPEND command which is intended only to create messages.

Part of an IMAP transaction where this occurs. As seen in the second block, the fetched message is created twice for some reason.

17. PhYrE

PhYrE Registered Member

The issue is simple.

Message comes into IMAP inbox. You can view the message and the message looks fine.
    ESET with Thunderbird integration then adds the following headers in
    It deletes the original message and rewrites the message with the new headers (modified).

Thus you have multiple copies of the same message, with prior ones deleted.

18. MzAmStaff

MzAmStaff Registered Member

I have the same problem Nod32 v 4.0.474.0 is disabled by Thunderbird 3.1.10.
    I have doubled checked all settings in Nod and everything is the same way it was when I set up the program. My license is valid until 01/12/2012.

I personally think the problem is Thunderbird 3.1.10 because I had no problems with 3.0 and Nod. . .but I am not a programmer

:isay: I WANT TO NOD AGAIN > > > >

19. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Try with 4.2.71

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.