Throw away the hard disks and install new ones?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DonMartin, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Maybe an odd problem.
    But a colluege of mine has a problem like this.

He has a PC, today running win98, and want to upgrade this with a raid system with 2 S-ATA discs conected to the PC through a controller card.

So the original discs are removed from the system and the new ones are installed.
    Putting in the cd with windows xp and rbooting the pc. When trying to format the new drives: always the same message come up.
    "Drive too big to be formatted" despite how big (small) partition that is set upo_O
    o_O
    /Don

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have very little experience with replacing hard drives, but I thought I read somewhere that Windows98 only accepts drives up to 30GB? I think any size larger cannot be formatted by that OS. Can anyone verify this?

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm not too good with hardware, so this might be totally wrong. but, these are the things i'd look in to -

1, check win98 can use SATA drives
    2, check the motherboard can use SATA drives. ( or at least SATA drives of the size he's using)

the problem will probably be something to do with having old hardware/software (that's if the hardware is as old as win9:cool: there's a good chance that both the software - win98, and the hardware just don't have any idea what SATA is, or aren't made to use SATA, something like that anyway . but, like i said i'm not very knowledgable with hardware, so hopefully i'm wrong :)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    There's a limit to how big a FAT32 drive can be - around 32GB methinks.
    Mrk

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/core/fncc_fil_tvjq.mspx

Maximum Sizes on FAT32 Volumes

Id check the mobo's BIOS supports LBA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing

http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm
    of course the mobo\OS should be treating those drives like they are SCSI devices (PCI ATA cards use SCSI drivers)
    getting them installed in Win9X however
    Win9X was so long ago
    and predating 48bit LBA as well read that last link, avoid overlay software if at all possible

as far as XP goes
    (which Id highly recommend over Win9X)

use NTFS and Press F6 to load third party SCSI drivers during the install (drivers for that SATA card from floppy)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.