Three new features to make LNS perfect

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by 123xyz, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123xyz

123xyz Registered Member

I have used many Internet firewalls, and LNS is the most powerful one. However, I think adding the following 3 new features will make it perfect.

1. In advanced mode, add two options “When a unknown application tries to access Internet, just block it without prompting” and “When a unknown application tries to access Internet, just authorizes it without prompting” to LNS’s Application filtering. The former is corresponding to “white list mode”, and the latter is corresponding to “black list mode”. Usually the two options will be useful; especially the former one can be used in high security mode.

2. Adding a way to specify domain name as destination address in Internet filtering and Port and IP address selection for Application filtering. There are two reasons: first, many servers’ domain name corresponds to multi IP addresses. Second, for some reason, some severs’ IP address is often changed.

3. Add a way user can define a firewall profile list through which user can quickly change LNS’s filtering setting. Here, a firewall profile is a combination of a set of Application filtering rules and a set of Internet filtering rules.

It is strongly hoped to add these new features in new release.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Look ‘n’ Stop official product forum!

1) Not in favor of this.

2) This was requested before, .. this is a feature request I like to see implemented.

3) This is an interesting feature, .. right now you can load up quickly any ruleset existing.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

3. 123xyz

123xyz Registered Member

Why not?
      In fact, because of prompting windows, many times LNS becomes so boring that users have to disable its application filtering feature, when all the applications needed to access Internet have been added to the application filtering list. Adding such options in advanced mode does not affect the LNS’s behavior in normal mode, and provide sophisticated users with more control to LNS. Therefore, in my opinion, it is really an important feature.

What are the worries to add such options? Afraid that new uses may wonder why their applications can’t access Internet without a prompting message?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. 123xyz

123xyz Registered Member

Something I want to mention about the 2nd feature

An easy way to implement the 2nd feature is to resolve the domain name to IP address first, and then treat the domain filtering rules as normal IP rules that LNS is using now. Unfortunately, this is an easy but not an always correct way! Why?

Many web sites (especially small sites) with totally different domain names may reside on the same physical server, so they all have same IP address. Therefore, a confident way is to look into and decode the transfer package to find its destination domain name whenever possible. Of course, it is more perfect if the domain name supports regular string.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Fact is..., I never have read anything on this official product forum or elsewhere that users was bored enough to disable the products application filtering layer.

If you were installing and completely uninstalling Look ‘n’ Stop product several times in such a short period, then ..., I can see how it can be annoying. It is only prompt crazy when you freshly install the product, because of the many Microsoft system files accessing Internet resources.

If you were to use the ‘Extra Save’ feature on the Look ‘n’ Stop - Options screen / Tab, you could backup the lns.reg file that it creates of its registry settings and any customizations one does to its settings, and you could restore it after re-installing freshly the Look ‘n’ Stop product. Thus addressing re-authorizing or re-blocking all the same stuff over and over again, and re-doing the many other customizations.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.