Threatfire

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fred128, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Beta version? Have there been any problems with it?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Just noticed that v.3.0.8 is available thru majorgeeks. Not yet available thru TF's built-in smart update. You need to
    (1) suspend TF from system tray
    (2) delete TF with built-in uninstaller, keeping configurations and log files.
    (3) reboot,
    (4) install new version, reboot.
    (5) hoping smooth sailing . Good luck.

4. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

treatfire website says 3070 is still beta 3 . how can 3.0.8 is final release ? o_O

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't know whether it's final or not, MG often has beta stuff available as well...

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Running TF 3.0.7 and it advised me that an update was available. Downloaded it and it turned out to be 3.0.8, so it is official even if the website may not yet have been updated.:D

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i'm testing this ThreatFire today and so far i see a carbon copy of CyberHawk. It does jump up alerts as it always did, but there are still FP's in it; for example i notice a lot of alerts to EXPLORER for some reason with no explaination other then "this program is la la la" so even though i don't want to i'm forced to add it to "remember this action" as ALLOW.

Now if explorer WAS compromised, it would run ignored by ThreatFire.

8. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

If TF really did FP on explorer.exe, I would've hazarded a guess that plenty of people would've noticed it by now. :rolleyes: As it is, this is the first time I've heard of anyone so much as mentioning such a problem.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, too bad, thats exactly what i was getting from it regardless. I'm still watching how it will behave. AFAIK as long as it stands up with alerts when i throw some malware at it, then i can't really discount it's ability.

The EXPLORER alert is completely new to me too.

10. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I am running multiple security applications and from own personal experience, sometimes an application or two will show a popup prompting the user about explorer.exe. Usually that is because some security applications inject themselves into explorer.exe and then other applications think that something was fishy about explorer.exe. If you try to disable other security applications (as a test) you may not have the same popups.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My thoughts exactly but you just confirmed them, for that my thanks friend.

I am running EQSecure 3.4 along with ThreatFire since i never had any problems before with running CyberHawk and SSM together, so your reasoning is quite sufficient and right-on-target i believe.

EASTER

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i got it again, alerting to of all things ThreatFire's tray file; but heh, thats ok, it works just like CyberHawk always did and what i'm getting for alerts has to do with setting my own CUSTOM RULES, so no big problem at all.

In fact i use this feature in ThreatFire to watch over TEMP folder/files for changes, and that suits the bill i expect.

If i sounded a bit turned off earlier it was my apprehension over the PC Tools acquisition. I know Novatix folks have a bead on this app and it does just fine.

If i drop a file in there or make any changes, guess what pops up? I just need to configure this baby more, thats all.

I'm sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.