Threatfire eating files?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jbysmith, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbysmith

jbysmith Registered Member

I've been experimenting with various "light security" apps, and was giving Threatfire a spin. Overall I was pretty happy with it for the past week or so, until last night.

I have a couple *Nix boxes that I use for file servers, and was prepping one for a big upgrade. First thing I do is copy all the files off the thing, just in case the upgrade goes bad.

I use TerraCopy for this which is a super-handy little copier, and have never had issues with it in the past. I can basically tell it to copy a few hundred gigs worth of data and tell it to shut down my system when it's done. Which is what I did last night.

This morning I fire up Beyond Compare, just to double check that everything is good on the copy.. and it wasn't. Pretty much any file over say 50MB was mangled, usually "short" some data. The entire file never got written to the system. Some other smaller files, not many but more than zero is a problem, were the right size but didn't match MD5 checksums.

I was able to reproduce this by copying some bulk data again. Removing Threatfire completely eliminated the problem; zero copy errors as expected.

I blasted Threatfire, but I really did like it as it was pretty light and fast. Is this a known issue? Didn't see anything on their FAQ's, wondering if anyone else ran into this and knows of a workaround. I'm guessing some sort of issue between Threatfire and Terracopy (which I've never had problems with any other type of resident scanner), but now I just can't trust the thing, if it's a choice between TerraCopy or Threatfire.. well, buh-bye Threatfire.

Thanks for any input.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I 've never heard of Threatfire eating files. Unless it is a conflict with Tera Copy. BTW, did you change Tera Copy version? Because in their changelog, the recent betas have some problems:

http://www.codesector.com/history-tc.php

OT : I downloaded Tera Copy 1.22 and it's slower than my built-in XP copy routine (tried an avi file of 1.46 GB).

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

ThreatFire has also caused some mysterious problems for me, such as Windows Updates failing to install, programs failing to install, etc. etc.

I think it's that TF has some HIPS rules built-in that block certain actions ... try disabling it.

4. jbysmith

jbysmith Registered Member

I've been using 2.0.4a since last summer with zero problems, but yea I see his nightly builds version has issues. (To be expected with bleeding edge nightlies.)

And yea v1 was sometimes faster, sometimes slower. v2 works excellent for me, it's not so much for a speed booster, but for the error recovery (a lot smarter than XP's), can queue up multiple operations, schedule shutdowns, etc etc.. the convenience thing. The one application I genuinely miss on my Linux desktops.

But yea I do suspect a conflict of some sort.

I've heard that as well, I've not experienced them yet but no scanner is perfect I suppose; going to get false positives. That and only used it for about a week.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just going to run without Threatfire. It was an experiment for me, just didn't work out. I'm not big on resident antivirus/spyware scanners anyway; I'm a fan of on-demand scans, Sandboxie, and common sense anyway. Shoot I'm still using ZoneAlarm 4.5 as it's near impossible to find a firewall that's just a firewall nowadays. System runs a lot faster, I just need to be smart about what I'm doing and not click every little downloadable that I see.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You must post at their forums. They respond fast IMO.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Threatfire group are actively reviewing what user's/customers are going to expect. They have really improved it IMO although there are a few minor additions i hope to see surface on succedding versions upcoming. Maybe this time they'll finally add the features everyone is so anxiously waiting to find so they can enjoy a full-fledged user-friendly Behavioral Blocker as it was always meant to be.

Should they finally add those request, i can see TF moving well ahead of Mamutu which right now is solidly in the lead IMHO.

All the best TF

EASTER

7. progress

progress Guest

My laptop got incredibly slow with TF, never again ... :thumbd:

8. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Correct. Slowed down boot and load time to a crawl.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I am not making excuses for them, but only to remind users that TF is still a work in progress (i hope).

Theres a fantastic potential just sitting on their table in TF code. It's my belief they are toying with it just like Novatix did like it's a hot potatoe.

A good developer IMHO would already have already had TF up to expectations by now. I haven't a clue what they are up to but if it's taking this long to fix simple programming code in it they would be better off to make it open source or sell it to someone who can build it right.

EASTER

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Never had a problem with ThreatFire.

Obviously, it depends on what other programs someone is using eg. how much analyzing the resident AV or firewall program is performing. Overall, I think if I had to choose between having the AV I like and no free program like ThreatFire, or choosing another AV/firewall program that works well with ThreatFire, I'd choose the latter.

By default, and for free, it's protection is fantastic.

11. neksus

neksus Registered Member

No problems here with TeraCopy and ThreatFire (been using different versions of both), but I guess that the situation can be remedied with (only:)) suspending ThreatFire's realtime protection while copying bunch of files, since it can lock some down while scanning during extensive reads/writes..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.