Threatfire and OA Program Guard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chinook9, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I am running XP with OA free and Avira AntiVir and I generally run Sandboxie. I am a security nut and love free software. I am considering adding Threatfire but not sure if it would be more trouble than its worth.

Is the malicious behavior protection of Threatfire better than that of the HIPS in OA?
    If Threatfire is good or better, should I run it with OA Program Guard turned off?
    Would Threatfire cause problems with my setup?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Threatfire is a Behavior blocker; similar, but not the same as the HIPS protection of Online Armor. Generally they can be used together. If i were going to use just one then i would use Online Armor. I have the paid version though. I have tried both, but found Online Armor suited my needs more. I feel Online Armor offers more protection. It stops more data leaks, and that is my main concern. I suppose you would have to ask yourself what you aim to accomplish with your security setup.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Chinook,

When adding a HIPS/FW like OA and a Behavioral Blocker like TF, you have two guards:

1) OA - reacts to every intrusion of not whitelisted applications

3) TF - reacts to very severe or a chain of intrusions of all applications

When an intrusion occurs OA will be the first to notice you. OA also has one of the best cause descriptions of all hips, so draw you own conclusion

4. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Earlier versions of OA didn't play out well with Threatfire. I had a few BSODS because of that. Mamutu seems to pick up the same alerts just like OA.

I have been using OA for a while and I believe one of the easiest firewalls to understand. I like the out of the box set-up and it usually behaves with all the programs I use. I have no troubles using my Wi-Fi with Online Armor and everything seems to behave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.