Threatfire and notebook battery life

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jdd58, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Has anyone examined closely whether certain security software is not “battery friendly” when running on a notebook?

I recently installed TF and my battery life seems to have been cut noticeably. It may not be caused by TF but I noticed is has a lot of disk i/o writes and wondered if that may be contributing to my problem.

Other HIPS programs seem to have a lot of disk reads, others use some CPU. The bottom line is what security software has the biggest impact on battery life?

I realize this post may need to be moved.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Now that you mention it, it seems that my battery is lasting less now that I installed TF...or maybe it's just suggestion....will put an eye on it...

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Tested

ThreatFire itself (nor its service) perform I/O disk activity. Strange thing is that with TF the harddisk keeps active for about 15 to 20 minutes after boot up. While with Mamutu for example this activity dies to zero after a few minutes.

Note this was observed while serving the internet.

TF has the advantage that it can "undo" intrusions. This gives TF the advantage over simular applications that it can base its judgement over more activities. Undoing means tracking, so it has to store it somewhere (either in memory or on disk, like virtualisation programs). Like in many other situations: there is no gain without pain (otherwise it is called magic)

Regards Kees

5. interact

interact Registered Member

I noticed in my tests with Threatfire an I/O delay when a virus was detected and my laptop fan would speed up. I'm curious as to what's going on under the hood :doubt:

~interact

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Because TFservice uses a lot of CPU for a sometime while quaratining a threat. But it,s ok. How many times in real life u are going to get this CPU usage, not so many times ofcourse.

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to keep my laptop as lean as possible as I need maximum battery life. I am going to stick with Avira free and Sandboxie paid on this machine. TF will stay on my desktop PC.

Hurst, btw I am running the same config as yours (except Returnil free) on my desktop, and it’s awesomely light.

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Yes, very light.... but ThreatFire is most likely being replaced when EQS4 becomes final.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.