Thread split - Rollback and Hitman issue

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bodhitree, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Re: Trouble with Hitman Pro and WSA complete

HMP has a LOT of false positives. It picks up RollbackRX as a rootkit and potentially can destroy your Windows installation. Be very very careful with HMP. I quit using it on client PC's due to the FP's causing dangerous issues. This isn't WSA's issue to be honest.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

As I mentioned in another thread, it seems a user of HMP needs to set HMP disk access to Compatible Disk Access instead of Direct Disk Access. I've now found the thread where this was originally discussed: www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=330839

As for WSA, I was correct in that earlier versions of WSA did detect Rollback Rx, but some logic has been applied to try minimise the risks of this happening. (See: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=314061)

It is a difficult task since Rollback Rx does modify the MBR; it's a case of finding the best way to acknowledge this without marking it as malware.

3. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Thats a bit unfair because RollbackRX -is by definition a rootkit-. It hooks into miniport and hides the MBR (serves a different MBR to Windows). Also TDSSkiller, aswMBR and EAM (or any other AV with proper antirootkit component) has/had issues with it in the past:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2088299&postcount=13

HitmanPro or any other anti-rootkit tool (ARKs) is reading from physical disk while most regular AVs just ask Windows for files. Rootkits serve Windows fake information and therefore ARKs cannot rely on Windows. RollbackRX serve fake file system and is therefor a rootkit. Its been said that HitmanPro is an 'aggresive scanner' but honestly, it just reads whats really there, and not faked sectors served by software.

We've fixed RollbackRX conflicts before (see our release notes) and our advice has been to run HitmanPro in "compatible disk access" mode (in addition). See also:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2105349&postcount=6

In any case, one can contact me directly with HitmanPro issues or FPs. This is the quickest path to get things resolved, as can be confirmed by several Wilders members.

Hope this helps.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It certainly does. Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.