Thread(s) with all the _free_ privacy/AV/AT/AS softare available?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by halcyon, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Does anybody know of a single thread or various threads that keep listed all Free (no trials, not shareware, but free):

- anti-virus
    - anti-trojans
    - anti-spyware
    - anti-malware
    - other privacy utilities

I don't need you to start listing them now here.

Just tell me, if you know of such pages / threads already.

I only want FREE software listed, there's plenty of exposure for the for-paid software.

If such pages do not exist, maybe we could start such threads here, if the moderators feel it is ok?

I keep coming back to this, because I notice how little even my spyware aware friends know about other software except AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Nothing bad about them, but there are many others out there.

Thoughts?

regards,
    halcyon

PS I've been gathering such a list for other people to use in a non-English forum and I could help in initially compiling it. I know Wilders has a list of free apps, but I'm sure it's quite a job to update it alone. As a distributed task (a forum thread) it could be done more efficiently, perhaps?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks, I know both.

The Wilders list is somewhat old and not updated regularly (no offence meant to updaters, it is hard work!)

The Eric's list is good, but it lists everything in a clump, including for-pay, shareware, trial and freeware utilities.

Plus, it doesn't offer a place for ongoing discussion about each software, their features and people's experiences in one concentrated place.

I think one of the barriers to protecting & cleaning systems is that people don't even know that there are free utilities out there. They don't even know the threats.

Many will grow to use for-pay utilities, once they get a taste using the free ones.

As such, I don't think there is yet a definitive list of freeware privacy, anti-virus, anti-trojan and malware prevention utilities.

I do think that somebody needs to make such a list though :)

regards,
    halcyon

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  5. x-man

x-man Registered Member

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

thanx for the link x man, appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.