Thoughts on Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Secure_Guy, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Secure_Guy

Secure_Guy Registered Member

I've tested it, and it seems pretty light on resources and has good protection.

What are your thoughts on Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.7004.6500?

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

In a corporate environment? Pretty damn good. I personally prefer Webroot (cheap) or Avast for Business (free), but I'd feel comfortable rolling Symantec out to workstations, especially if you're not concerned with budget.

3. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I can tell you the company I worked for about a year ago got hit by powerlics. they had Symantec endpoint installed. Symantec would keep popping up malware found and cleaned but it would just keep coming back. at that time not even malwarbytes was finding it. I ended up downloading a special tool from eset that cleared the issue up.
    at least Symantec to detect it and even say what it was. it just could not clean it.

4. Secure_Guy

Hmm....very good comments so far.
    Keep 'em coming....

Also, how about Symantec Endpoint Protection in a home environment as opposed to business/corporate environment?

5. Secure_Guy

In my testing, it repairs/deletes this one threat that Eset for example finds, but cannot delete. The same message from Eset keeps popping up over and over. With Symantec Endpoint Protection, it finds the threat, asks for reboot and cleans it then. No more threat. I also found it depends a lot on its online cloud stuff to get answers automatically for stuff its not sure of, and it sure does find a LOT of stuff this way, and seems to always get the threats found and cleaned/removed.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I can tell you that when Poweliks [first] came out ALL AV had problems with it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  7. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I use SEP at home.
    Its as good as NIS. I did not even have to change or customize any setting.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What about tools like CrowdStrike, SentinelOne, Carbon Black and Invincea? Those tools look very interesting to me, I just wish they would make "dumb downed" consumer versions of their product.

9. M3gatron

M3gatron Registered Member

Any specific reason you use SEP over NIS? I have the option to get SEP from work but I am currently using kasperksy

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Does SEP use browser toolbars and plugins like NIS? If not, that would be reason alone.

11. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Simple reason is that SEP is free for me from my company. Although I do have Norton too but a Endpoint protection seems more solid. Again just a theory.

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Nope. Absolutely none.

13. orderinchaos

orderinchaos Registered Member

I have been using it at work for a few years. No problems on the client side with respect to performance and detection, but the java based back-end on the Server I truly hate. Sluggish and ugly. The fact it needs java is a security risk in itself.

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I was wondering about the same...;)

15. M3gatron

M3gatron Registered Member

Anyone had the chance to test SEP v14? It was in beta for a while but I think beta just recently closed. AFAIK they meant to release it early October

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.