Thoughts On McAfee And NAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I know there are more than a few people here that use either NAV or McAfee. Do you feel secure enough with your AV updating virus deffinitions only once a week? I know you can download McAfee's dat files and NAV's intelligent updates manually on a daily basis, but to me that seem somewhat of a hassle. JMHO [​IMG] [​IMG] The reason I ask is that I'm seriously concidering purchasing McAfee AV, but not too sure about the weekly update thing.

So many other AV's out there update daily or almost daily. Don't know why McAfee and NAV stay with the weekly updates.

2. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well McAfee said through a media source (a bit ago) that they were going to switch to daily updates in Q3 this year, but the response from the beta newsgroup is kind of cryptic on whether they will actually switch this year or not. If you practice safe computing habits, it should be fine. McAfee and Symantec have updates for outbreaks, but still relegate the new rarer additions to the weekly.

For my experience, I wasn't entirely feeling safe until I made an auto-update program that would autorun after McAfee ran it's update schedule, that would download and unzip the beta defs for McAfee. (fortunately, McAfee updates their beta defs like crazy)

3. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I've seen instructions for a batch file to download the dailies from Symantec. I didn't know you could do the same for McAfee. Do they have instructions for that on the McAfee support forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.