This shouldn't be happening this late in the game

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by xwray, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xwray

xwray Registered Member

I recently rebuilt my system - win2k w/all updates. Previously I was only running regdefend. When it came time to reload regdefend I decided to go ahead and purchase appdefend. I downloaded them both today so assume I have the latest versions.

The problem that shouldn't be happening is the repeating update nag. I have tried everthing I was able to find in a search of the forums regarding update issues but the problem persists. I would rather it be fixed rather than masked by turning off automatic updates.

Does anyone have any info that I could have missed WRT solving this issue?

Is anyone else still experiencing the update issue or is it only me?

Has it been recognized by Ghost Security as a real issue which they will address in a subsequent release?

thanks for any feedback.

2. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi xwray.

I suppose you already read this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122044

Yes, Jason have mentioned having made some fix on one possible reason this "continous update" could happens.

By any luck do you run in any kind of limited account ?

3. xwray

xwray Registered Member

Hi...Yes, I did read that thread. I'm running as an admin with no constraints.

4. f3x

f3x Registered Member

have tried importing my registry key ?
    or can you post if yours is different ?

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghost Security\GhostSecuritySuite\versions]
    "ghostsec.sys"=dword:00000456
    "gss.exe"=dword:00000456
    "rdstandard.gsr"=dword:000003eb
    "gssupdater.exe"=dword:000003ee

5. xwray

xwray Registered Member

My registry key only contained the first entry found in your key so I imported your key ant it seems to have solved the problem. Do you have any idea what your key does that makes the update function work? More importantly do you know why the original key on the install didn't contain the proper values...was in just a glitch in the install process that happened to result in the update issue...is it understood why the values were wrong?

Yeah, I know, I'm too curious and ask too many questions <g>

thanks

6. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

xwray,
    Those values that you imported from f3x are just hexadecimal version numbers that the updater uses as the primary method to know if your programs are up to date.

By setting those values you have corrected the "glitch" that caused the auto-update mechanism to keep prompting you. The one thing that you need to be aware of prior to just applying the keys is that you have gone through at least one cycle of actually letting it update so that you actually do have the most recent version

It seems that not everybody experiences the issue, but I am sure that Jason is taking the issue seriously and will address it. In the interim there is a workaround, even if it isn't ideal...

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the continious updates in the beginning can be solved (at least in my case) with disabling/stopping the security ... meaning, it is appdefend itself which is so quick that you can't see the dialog box to accept the update, I saw it once very quick, since then, I disable it (main screan) and then I do the update so the update gets finalised. then I enable GSS as a whole (RD + AD) and everything is ok...in my case...

best wishes,

8. xwray

xwray Registered Member

Thanks all for the help...

9. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi xwray
    for the record is everythign ok ?

If so can we agree that the problem is autoupdate not able to update it's registry key ?

Then can we agree on a procedure to give to the next person ?
    1. Disable GSS (AppDefend + RegDefend)
    2. Perform a manual update
    3. Apply registry fix to reflect lastest version number
    4. Be happy and enjoy !

for those curious:
    hex(456) = decimal(1100)
    hex(3eb) = decimal(1003)
    hex(3ee) = decimal(1006)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  10. xwray

xwray Registered Member

Yes, everything is OK in terms of the continuing upgrade issue ever since I added your registry settings. I'm still a little concerned, however, whether this is a makeshift fix, sorta like turning the autoupdate off just to get rid of the update messages, since I had to in effect manually tell GSS what versions it was running. I also wonder what will happen when GSS goes out and actually finds a new release (since I can't be really sure the update process is working as a whole as it should) - presumably it will actually detect the difference in versions and generate an alert to that end. Whether or not the versions in the registry update remains to be seen.

Such are the ramifications of using beta software...but I don't really have a problem as long as I understand what is happening.

11. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi xwray.

The problem is know by the devlopper.

It have to do with multiple part of the program trying to process that registry key.
    It end up that no parts can really change it on some machines as they concurence each other.
    It also happens on limited user (they dont have access to hklm) wich explain my previous question.

I understand your concern about patched solution: the program cant update the registry value properly ... let help it a bit.

However, it may(should ?) be corrected in next release. **
    If it's not the case i'd be more than happy to assist you finding the rigth registry and it'll be corrected in the second next release ... and so on ;)

[edit]
    ** in any cases, the current alpha of the next release have majors core improvment so it's more than likely that the new version will require you to uninstall then reinstall manually.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.