"This program is blocked by group policy"

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TONPumper, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

I haven't tried this with other programs, but this is the message that I receive when I try to open Malwarebytes'. Normally, this would be an easy issue to correct; however, I think this is happening because of a virus. I have removed the virus from the computer, but it appears that the settings that it has changed were left behind.

Here's the confusion: The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium, which is not supposed to have group policy. So when I search for gpedit.msc, it doesn't come up. When I run virus scans, such as ESET Online Scanner and TDSSKiller, they don't see any issues because group policy is a normal Windows function. I also tried running Windows AIO Repair from tweaking.com but that did not fix the issue either.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

You might be better of posting your issue here: General Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Forum
    From there you will be guided by qualified helpers.

3. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

But it's happening with AVG too. It's a system-wide issue. This tells me that the virus installed a "switch" and turned it on, and all I need to do it turn it off.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.