This Is How Google Keeps 1.6 Billion Android Devices Safe

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by Minimalist, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

'When users don't turn off the "unknown sources" setting and stick to installing apps and games from Google Play, just 0.15% ran into a PHA.'

Good to know the exposure rate.

3. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thank you! Very interesting! I believe W8+ is adopting this mode of use with the Windows Store.

4. Cache

Cache Registered Member

That is very impressive IMO. Part of this improvement must be down to Google getting the updates of the OS out to carriers in a much more timely fashion:

"In the past, it could take a carrier as long as nine weeks to certify an update and begin sending it out to users. Today, testing times have been reduced to about a week. As a result, more and more devices are running the latest and greatest software."

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

My biggest problem is with all the permissions that apps are asking for, this is really unacceptable and Google isn't doing anything about it. Also, once in a while malware does manage to slip through, so it's best to stick with the most popular apps.

6. guest

guest Guest

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Android – Marshmallow is been the best one i found to date for granular permissions control on my own Huawei Mate Phablet.

Rooted/Unlocked it's as easy for me as digging into every vector and every in/out transfer point within Windows 8!

I said it before and I stick to it that new doesn't always equate with better.

You have to Tinker and FIND that system which is best and not take on face value what is supposed to be the best for security and anything else they can arrive at to help in that is icing on the cake.

8. Minimalist

9. guest

guest Guest

@Minimalist Not a joke, i was an Android lover for years until i decided to buy my WinPhone, far more useful and convenient to me; and i don't need crappy-battery-sucking AVs to protect me from crappy-useless-fruity-shiny apps.

Ah , i forgot, i use my Windows Phone making calls and mostly for for serious stuff, not for gaming, not installing everything that show a pair of boobs, or visit suspicious websites. For that i have my computer. or my old Android phone :D

10. Minimalist

@guest - nice to hear that it's useful to you.
    But please don't turn another thread that has nothing to do with Windows into Windows vs. 3rd party AVs. I think we have enough of such threads.

11. guest

guest Guest

Turn what? I was just teasing Rasheed's because his comment, i didn't even addressed you and asked your opinion. :rolleyes:

12. Rasheed187

So you're saying on Win 10 it's easier to block apps from spying on you? Now why I have I got difficulties trying to believe this? :D

13. guest

guest Guest

No , i talk about security, privacy is different.
    I don't mind much about privacy since nothing is private anymore unless you becomes Jason Bourne by using permanently encrypted datas and traffic redirections to avoid Prism, never use your real name anywhere for anything, make fake accounts with disguised IPs for even the stupidest website...in top of that when you buy a phone, when you subscribe to an ISP/phone operator, when you log in to your banking app, you give your real name and all is logged somewhere, where is the privacy? nowhere, people believing in true privacy are just dreamers.

So instead of worrying about privacy , i rather focus on securing my device from malware and Win10 mobile is a better choice than android for me.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Google then leaves the other billions of Androids vulnerable.

15. Rasheed187

But I keep reading that malware isn't a real threat on smartphones. But I do think that privacy on mobile phones is a huge problem, and we have to blame the OS makers for this. I just don't feel comfortable having to give apps access to private data, weird that no one is complaining about this. So I have decided not to store any private data.

16. Minimalist

Yes, if you use Google Play and install known apps, you don't need AV on Android.

17. Rasheed187

18. Minimalist

19. guest

guest Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.