This is a Tough Choice

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well as you know My new system is up and running, and almost time to install a System Restore Program,but I have Both FDISR and Rollback rx Pro 8.1

Now which do I choose o_O problem is I cant make my mind up. might end up flipping a coin

1: FDISR and I can run PerfectDisk 2008 on Steath Mode

2: Rollback and I use the implimented snapshot defragmenter, and uninstall PerfectDisk 2008

Past probs from both, more so FDISR,but that was on my Old system, and I'm wondering about the % rate of the same occuring again:ninja:

God! this is stressing :blink:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi DVD

I've not tested Rollback on all the systems, but I have FDISR running on a raid 0 Intel desktop, a raid 0 AMD desktop, a raid 0 Laptop, and a standard IBM Thinkpad Tablet. Works fine on all of them.

Main thing is I don't think I'd run them together. Rollback has come far in all area's except imaging(IMHO). That is the stumble point for me.

Pete

3. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

ditch both.. get acronis true image:argh:

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK Well heres the Brainer my New System has a AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor @ 2.30Ghz with 4GB. My Hard Drive Total used space is 30.3GB (Doubt I'll be using more than this) and I have 425GB Free Space, so its not a space issue with FDISR, However as FDISR copies the entire system 2 Snaps = 60.6GB and 3 snaps (Baseline/Copy/And Active) will occupy 90.9GB so I'm curious if that would constitute any adverse performance impact and if so how much, If too much then Obviously Rollback would be the Logical choice.

5. Peter2150

There wouldn't be any performance issue other than with imaging and restoring. What you could to is this:

First I assume your baseline is the system without any software. Just use your primary(working) and the baseline. Use your 2nd drive and make archives of both. Then just use the baseline as a place to boot. Use an archive in place of the copy. This what I do, and there are two benefits.

The first is less on the drive to image. Second is an archive updates significantly faster than a snapshot.

Pete

6. Peter2150

1) Off topic

2) Not comparable

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Did u separate ur OS andd Data on two partitions?

I haven,t used FDISR but it seems more trouble-free if u can stay witgh its relatice slow speed of creating new snapshots.

8. Peter2150

Nope, I am a strictly one partition kind of fella. My data which is about 2g out of a total of 18gig, isn't a problem. I do have some larger type files that might be considered data, but they don't change, and are indeed on another drive.

Pete

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry I was not specific. Actualy I asked this question from DVD+R !

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No aigle just a 500GB HDD on a single partition, my Data (Music/Videos/Photos Etc..) is Also on an external 1TB Drive.

BTW Peter, I decided to redo my installation, and removed Britannica 08/Encarta Premium 08, and a game Neverwinternights 2 which in itself took over 6GB :blink: Thus reducing my 30.3GB load to just under 17GB I'll just run those progs from CD instead.

11. Peter2150

I have one game, that is over 2 gig. I just install it on the D: drive. Might not be the best way, but so far no issues.

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

All Systems are Go! :cool: No issues found with my new system and current setup :D and I reinstalled the game too :)

Edit*: Correction: 4 Hrs after this post I decided to boot to the secondary snapshot, The next thing is that it reports ANCHOR Missing cannot continue :mad: Either this is a issue with FDISR and Vista, or the program is bassically Vista Incompatible! :mad: I've had enough, I'll stick with Rollback at least you can clean out junk with Rollback, FDISR F's Up If you try and do it :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.