This has to be possible! Create a bootable rescue CD.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TheCrunge, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCrunge

TheCrunge Registered Member

I created a full backup of a whole HD to an external USB HD using the Bootable Rescue Media I created after I installed TI 9 full version. I split them up into 650MB files (4 files). I want to make a cd with the first image on it bootable so all I have to to to restore my system is to boot with the first cd, select retore, then insert the other 3 cd's as it goes along.
    OK, I've done it before with TI8, a while ago. But it will not work with ver. 9. I tried creating an ISO image of the boot cd TI9 made using UltraISO, then opening this ISO and adding the 1st .tib (backup) file & save the ISO. Then I burn the ISO using Nero 6. It did not boot in any machine I tried it in. I then tried to create a new bootable cd in Nero, using the extracted boot file from the TI9 boot cd (again using UltraISO), then adding the "Recovery Manager" folder and the 1st .tib file. No good either.
    This should be easy, but it's not. I am probably doing something wrong. I've seen instructions for doing this on the web but they all involve a bunch of steps that seem unnessasary, because, I did it with ver 8. I need 9 because it has better hardware support. Any help is appreciated.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Why would yo want to do this?
    This would, if it could be done, lock you imto a single backup file.

The purpose of a recovery CD is to boot and allow you to select the backup from which you wish to restore.

In addition, you cannot merely replace 1 volume of a multivolume CD as you indicate. You would have to add the file to the last volume. If you want to know why, you would have to read ISO 9660.

And I'm not sure that the spec for bootable CDs would allow you to use a multivolume set.

3. TheCrunge

Why? Why not? I want to have a fresh install of windows, install all my drivers, apps, and favorite programs on my pc. Then, have a set of cd's to restore my entire system to this point in the future. I've done it before with TI8. It can be done. How is it that eMachines can do it with thier new systems. They have a bootable restore cd. That is what I want to create with this program. This is what I did using the older version, but 9 will not do it for some reason.

4. Howard Kaikow

It is possible to do, but not the way you are doing it,

When you have a multiple volume CD set, you cannot just change the first volume, you have to change the whole set.

5. TheCrunge

Do you have instructions, or a link or 2? I just don't understand how it worked before with ver.8. My specialty is computer networking, so I'm no slouch. But this is amazing to me that there is no simple way to create an all-in-one customized boot cd that contains the backup image. I know there are other programs out there that can do this, but I think Acronis makes (or used to) the best.

6. Howard Kaikow

Actually, I have to take much of the credit/blame for using CD-ROM, see http://www.standards.com/index.html?HowardKaikow.

There is a de facto standard for producing bootable optical media. The critter is called the El Torito format, which is not in conformance with ISO 9660, but has been adopted as a de facto standard, so differences from ISO 9660 do not matter.

So, e.g., a Recovery CD from TI or Ghost or ..., would be an El Torito conforming CD that boots by loading the code to run a temporary OS and the relevant backup program.

It would be possible to include a backup file on the boot CD, but the CDs are limited in space, so not much of a backup file could fit anyway.

I would not believe that any general purpose backup program would create a bootable CD that included a backup file.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, TheCrunge

Try HERE for making a Bootable rescue DVD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello TheCrunge,

If using TI 9 plus UltraISO to create bootable rescue DVD(s) you need to use the <latest version of UltraISO (now 7.6.6.130:cool:> and the procedure detailed in Post #171 of the thread titled <How to create bootable rescue DVD(s)>.

In addition, Post #189 of that thread provides a simple explanation of how to add a 650MB .tib file to a standard Acronis bootable rescue CD. Although I used Nero as the CD burning software, any burning application capable of creating multi-session CD-ROM (ISO) compilations should be OK.

Regards

9. TheCrunge

Well thanks guys, I will try these procedures. I did see them before, but they seem to be kind of what I was doing. I dunno, maybe it's me then. Thanks.

10. sensitive

sensitive Registered Member

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME.I CREATED AN IMAGE WITH TRUE IMAGE AND SET PASSWORD.UNFORTUNATELY I FORGOT PASSWORD OF THE IMAGE FILE SO CANT RESTORE IMAGE. KINDLY TELL ME HOW I CAN RECOVER,REMOVE OR CRACK THE PASSWORD

11. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again TheCrunge,

I doubt very much that is was you ;). UltraISO prior to Version 7.6.5 can extract the boot info from a TI 8 rescue CD but not one created by TI 9.

Regards

13. TheCrunge

That would explaine a lot. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.