This from PC World, what do you think?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No link ? You have to mention a link for an unknown anti-malware software.
    It sounds to me like you are describing SUPERAntiSpyware.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Its definetly not SAS related;)

Google search of Hazard shield seems to be revealing,virtually all top links are download sites so this seems somewhat a bizaare outcome as the homepage should be rank#1 as with all the other security softwares....

Next up then ratchet,how do you know what HS found and SS missed are actually malware items for definate ?

Edit Just seen it was not your statement but again claims like that need validifying with proofs or else it just Scotty's word.

PP Not much of a *malware/software* expert if he use's SS,lol!

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Homepage for Hazard Shield here.
    Also did the Google search, had a look at a few of the "user reviews". Not so many intelligent ones, but from what I could gather it looks legit.
    Downloaded it, scanned at VT, 3 suspicious results, (generic, heuristic etc), not too alarming to me.
    Seems worthy of further investigation.

6. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

wow, comparing it to spy sweeper. i bet this must be good.:blink:

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Maybe it found a few things SS didn't, but that doesn't mean it's good. SuperAntiSpyware also finds things SS doesn't and we know it's a proven app. I wonder how many signatures Hazard Shield has? On the website it would appear the updates are every two days or so. I'd be more concerned about how good it's real time protection is. Like does it use heuristics detection for real time, or even for On Demand for that matter?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Curiosity won. Installed it. Updated it. Scanned with it. Full scan of about 17.5 Gb took about 5 minutes.Nothing found.
    The gui is attractive and provides easy to interpret basic information. It says there are 982 detections loaded, so it sure isn't comprehensive, but then, it's a young program.
    It has a tools section, including a file deleter, a process explorer, list of services,an uninstall manager, task scheduler, and a temp file cleaner.
    Also has a cookie manager, that appears to not list Firefox cookies, and an ADS scanner.
    The online FAQ/help section is nonexistent, so far.
    I think this may have potential.

Attached Files:

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

So did SpyDefense, and it started out with a lot more signatures than 982. LOL. Also I find it hard to believe that this app found anything that Spy Sweeper didn't. Still, it would be nice to have yet another free and effective security software to pick from.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL @ 982. No wonder it scans in 5 minuts. That is less than a drip in the Malware Ocean. It probably wanted to beat Bazooka Scanner. The n'th scanner, brilliant original idea :rolleyes: I skip this one. :)

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ok Did any one notice there Is No stop scan or I Need better eyeglasses.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

AS market is super-saturated IMO.

I wonder why and how the people/ companies still put a lot of effort in AS scanners. Even the strong AS vendors like Webroot, Sunbelt and PC Tools had to plan for their AVs, FW and Suites to survive. AVs are becoming more and more stronger in spyware/ adware area and soon one might see all AS scanners disappearing from the scene. A good AS needs too much effort and even then it might get poor revenue. Not worthy of an effort for the vendors IMO.

But may be I am wrong and ordinary users still like to buy too many AS scanners.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know this person but this statement is just like the statement from an ignorant user( sorry to say, but it,s my feeling).

Too me it appears more of an advertisement.

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You're right. No "stop/pause scan" button.
    However, it is possible to terminate it via task manager.

15. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I think the picture posted above is about the shield component not the scanner (Button upper left corner)

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The picture should be more or less self-explanatory. Can post more, if you like.

17. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Its former name is MalwareScan. Hazard Shield v1.7.0.1 has been released today. See its homepage for the announcement. You can download it here.

This can be a backup scanner for Rogue Remover because its database primarily consist of rogue definitions. However, it is likely taking the path of Malwarebyte's AntiMalware.

You can submit malware samples (preferably rogueware) thru the file uploader built-in in v1.7.0.1 or use this portable uploader (10 mb is the limit).

thanatos

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Anyone still using this receive the "large data base" download it mentions should be available by Monday on the website?

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

WOW I sure hope the app is better then that blog looking site, that took probably a whole whopping 15 minutes to make :blink:

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Error update

update never mind worked......found 32 hotbar's hyyyyyyymmm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  21. thanatos_theos

They updated the database 3 times already. The latest database version is 037.

@maddawgz
    The update problem has been fixed in v1.7.0.3. Regarding the false alarms, you can contact them using this web form.

thanatos

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi aigle

You know the irony of all this is that no matter how many new AS's will be pushed out to the public, it still boils down in the pot that there is only a scant few that are truly reliable apps that have enough experience behind them to hold their market place or at least stay in strong contention with whichever one happens to top the list that day.

IMO, all others sorely pale in comparison and really have nothing useful to offer, very illogical in a world full of very risky malware where the many of them now go deep & wide into the (kernel level). Then what? This field of AS's is better suited for those few that already have a proven track record, and thats not many to say the least.

Dare i say we could count those on our fingers? Or one hand?

23. thanatos_theos

Orbitech Hazard Shield v1.8 BETA released.

thanatos

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

OK, i bit, thanks.

If nothing else just it's name for some odd reason for me has something of a ring to it that says, security. At least that's supposed to be the intention.

I was a cult follower for BAZOOKA for a long time so why not this right?

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, that went well. Just after install i clicked to open it and got this nice notice:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

So any ideas?

XP Pro SP2, also see my sig, any one or a group of these might be running, at this trial only EQS 4.0 (Beta) and the firewall were active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.