ThinkPad with Hidden Partition - Clone Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by phillyd2, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillyd2

phillyd2 Registered Member

System = IBM ThinkPad X21
    OS = Win 2000 Pro
    Original HD = 10 GB
    Disk Management shows two partitions:
    8.78 GB NTFS (System) and 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System)
    Note: IBM System partition is hidden. Both show as "Healthy"

New HD = 40 GB

Using Acronis True Image 10 Home I tried to clone the 10 GB drive to the new 40 GB hard drive. Using the Disk Clone Wizard when I select Proportional Date Moving Method it shows that the new drive would be:

8.78 GB NTFS and 28.25 GB FAT (LBA)

Which would leave me with the original 8.78 GB and a massive 28.25 GB Hidden Partition!

If I use As IS Date Moving Method it shows that the new drive would be:

8.78 GB NTFS and 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System) and 27.94 GB Unallocated!

Last, I tried Manual Moving Method it shows that the new drive would be same as the Proportional so I selected Proceed Relayout but it will not let me increase the size from 8.78 GB. I have tried every know combination such as 598 MB for the FAT32 partition and using the rest of the space for the main drive. No luck.

Thinking that the graphics on the software was wrong I let it clone in Automatic to see what would happen. It ended up 8.78 GB NTFS and 28.25 GB FAT on the new drive.

Just to play, I tried deleting the larger partition in Disk Management and repartitioning it to NTFS but then when I rebooted it says that the Operation System could not be found. Trying to use IBM's MBR repair utility did not help.

So now I'm back to square one.

How do I clone a 8.78 GB NTFS (System) and 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System) Hard Drive to the 40 GB new drive without most of it being Hidden? I would sacrifice the hidden partition on the new drive if needed.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Several possible solutions.
    Check my signature for a couple links.
    1. Reference to Useful links which contains a posting "How to restore to a replacement hard drive. Note the link to Menorcaman inside the thread.
    or

2. Refer my guides below and check the note #2 which also refers to the same Menorcaman's posting.

3. Or, you could do a full disk image restore from an archive file. This would produce identical sizes and then
    a. use TI to create an Secure Zone
    b. use TI to delete the Secure zone
    c. then assign the un-allocated space to your system drive.

Many posts on this subject.

3. phillyd2

Hmmm. It seems that you are saying not to use the Clone Disk option but instead use Back Up. Is this correct.

I've read all you referenced and still am not sure of the procedure. I have the original 10 GB in the ThinkPad X21 and the 40 GB Drive in a USB Drive Enclosure.

Where do I back up the 10 GB Drive to? Do I back it up to the attached 40 GB USB Drive? Then restore it on the 40 GB Drive while it still attached via USB?

sorry but I'm still not understanding the procedure.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Use the "As Is" method as you said here: "If I use As IS Date Moving Method it shows that the new drive would be:

8.78 GB NTFS and 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System) and 27.94 GB Unallocated! "
    ===============================
    Then to make the unallocated become part of the NTFS partition, you would then use the Manage Secure Zone feature to create a Secure Zone in the unallocated part. Next immediately go back into Manage Secure Zone and choose to delete the SZ. You will be asked where you want to add the unallocated space. Choose the NTFS partition.

BTW, if you haven't done so, I would create the bootable CD media and do all your basic Clone, Backup and Recovery with it.

5. phillyd2

OK, thanks. I will give it a try. By the way, do I create and delete the SZ while the 40 GB drive is still in the USB Enclosure or after I install it into the laptop?

6. DwnNdrty

It shouldn't matter as long as you choose the correct hard drive to give back the unallocated space to.

7. phillyd2

I had high hopes of this working until the end when it didn't.

The SZ was created without issue but at the end of the delete function there were a few very vague error message and I ended up with the 27.94 GB Unallocated space.

This should not be so hard.......

What I did so far was to delete the 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System) partition on the 10 GB drive and repartition it to NTFS. Then when I tried Clone again I ended up with two partition on the new 40 GB drive = 8.78 GB and 28 GB.

Since the Unallocated section is gone from the new 40 GB drive I guess I can live with this but by far my preference would be to have one larger partition on the new drive.

Am I out of options?

I still don't understand the instructions by Menorcaman.

8. DwnNdrty

Did you use the bootable True Image CD to do the SZ create/delete/reallocate process?

9. phillyd2

No. Its a small IBM ThinkPad X21 with no drives so the 40 GB new drive is attached via USB.

What difference would it make? Or would it make one?

Thanks,
    Dave

10. DwnNdrty

Using the CD would eliminate anything running in the background in windows that might interfere with the process. When you run into errors using any TI process from within windows, you should always try the process using the bootable CD. It helps to narrow down the cause. But without a CD drive, of course, that option is not open for you.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello phillyd2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please describe the actions you have takes step-by-step? Please also make a screen shots of your consequent steps.

In addition, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post with both source and target drive plugged in.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. phillyd2

The step by step process was every possible option from the Disk Clone portion of the software: Automatic, Manual (As Is, Proportional, etc.). Believe me that I tried every single way possible to clone. The results were as posted above.

The issue is that the software did not know who to handle the 598 MB FAT32 (IBM_System) hidden partition. The only way of finding a work around was to repartition the 598 MB to NTFS which resulted in two partition on the new 40 GB drive = 8.78 GB and 28 GB.

It works but not as advertised.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.