Thinking of using Nod32...but have a few quick questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Corrupted, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

Hi all -
    After reading many threads I'm thinking of moving to Nod32 (my decision was between this and KAV). I have a few quick questions I'm still unsure of. Any info would be greatly appreciated. THanks for being patient with my load of questions...

1) Does using IMON lower the speed of webpages loading? Even if I have DSL?

2) The "quarantine" issue still eludes me somewhat...
    a) Once a virus is detected it is automatically copied and sent to the 'quarantine' folder. Is this 'copied' file benign?
    b) The original infected file is taken care of according to how I set the action (i.e. clean, delete, etc), right?
    c) Once the original file is cleaned or deleted, then do I have to worry about the copied one in the 'quarantine' folder (I guess this is similar to the first question)
    d) Is getting rid of the the quarantined files as simple as just going into the folder and deleting them?
    e) Is there any other reason for putting the copied infected file into quarantine other than having the ability for Eset to look at it? In other words, if the original file was deleated and in fact was a false positive. Can the file in the quarantine be used to replace it?

Thanks again for the help.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I noticed a VERY slight decrease in speed, and I mean VERY slight, nothing worth worrying about, don’t even think about it or notice it any more…

If you have quarantine ticked, the copied file is placed into a file in a form that Eset can read, I think it is encrypted, yes it is in effect harmless…

Correct.

Not really, though if it finds a “Probable NewHeur_PE virus found”, please send the quarantined file to Eset: sample@nod32.com this file can be found here: C> Program files> Eset> Infected.

Yes, though there is no harm in leaving them there.

This I do not know, if you don’t receive an answer to this one, please send an email to support@eset.com

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Blackspear handled the other questions already.

If you place a file in Quarantine, you can go to the Control Centre and select Quarantine under System Tools. In the right hand window, a folder listing of quarantined objects appears. If you select and right-click any of the listed files, options to Restore, Restore to..., and Delete appear. So, I'd say the answer to your question is yes.

Blue

4. Blackspear

Thanks Blue, always good to learn something new :D

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

1) Does using IMON lower the speed of webpages loading? Even if I have DSL?

I see no noticeable difference at all with IMON HTTP scanner on or off. I am on a 3/256 cable connection.

The only issue I have seen so far with HTPP scanner is that some websites will not load correctly with IE 6.0 and XP SP2 set in high efficiency mode, at least it does on my rig. I have not come across any websites of my own that will not load in high efficiency mode, but the websites that are listed in the sticky thread I do have problems loading in high efficiency mode. High compatability mode works just fine. Eset is aware of the matter, and that is why it is stickied.

I really like the HTTP scanner because it can stop a virus or trojan before it even downloads to temporary internet files or to other parts of your drive. You are able to terminate the connection.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Exactly!

7. Blackspear

Same here, I think it is a brilliant new feature :D

8. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

I see no speed decrease either on downloads and web pages loading. I have ADSL, but HDD speed is by far faster then internet speed, isn't it?
    Good thing the new HTTP checking, and also DMON. Nice surprise :D

9. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

All thank you very much for your answers, it has helped a lot. Looks like I'll be getting myself Nod32 this weekend. Again, thanks for the help!

10. Blackspear

It's a pleasure, hope to see you hanging around the halls of Wilders...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.