Thinking of using FDISR.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Bio-Hazard, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I have been thinking of buying this program, but there is no free trial. So i have few questions:

Can i do any harm to my computer by using it?

How many snapshot i need to make?

When i install something on my computer does it only exist on that snapshot i am using?

What about av programs when they update, does it only applies to the snapshot i am using?

Can you save any of the snapshot to external harddrive?

Thanks

Kristian

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah theres a trial.

http://www.leapfrogsoftware.com/product_info/first_defense/download/

I've only been using it a little while but its pretty awesome what i've seen so far, simply amazing imo.

3. Bio-Hazard

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

During the installation FDISR will create the first snapshot (primary), which is equal to your actual partiton [C:]. This is your WORK snapshot for daily usage.

Once the primary snapshot is created, FDISR will ask you to create the second snapshot (secondary), which is exactly the same as your primary snapshot.
    This is your ROLLBACK snapshot. You will need that snapshot in case something goes wrong in your primary snapshot.

Your WORK snapshot acts normal and accepts any updating, just like working without FDISR.

Yes you can archive any snapshot to an external harddisk as an archived snapshot (.arx-files)
    The number of archived snapshots is UNLIMITED.
    The number of bootable snapshots is minimum 2 and maximum 10.

As long your primary snapshot is in HEALTHY state, you copy/update FROM your primary snapshot TO your secondary snapshot to keep your secondary snapshot UP-TO-DATE.

FDISR requires a longer learning curve than other System Immediate Recovery software, but once you understand how it works, you will see how brilliant and HELPFULL it is. :)

PS : Do as much as possible in the trial period and then buy it or don't buy it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  5. ErikAlbert

Ciderman,
    Keep in mind that FDISR is a space consuming software on your harddisk [C:], because EACH snapshot requires space on your harddisk. You can reduce the space with 25% if you use COMPRESSED snapshots.
    Compressed snapshots work like normal snapshots, but most files will be blue instead of black, because compressed files are always blue in Windows.

If your actual harddisk = 5gb without personal data, you will need :
    - minimum 5gb x 2 normal snapshots = 10gb
    - maximum 5gb x 10 normal snapshots = 50gb

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Not hard to do. ;)

Just purchased it myself yesterday after the trial.
    Tried a few others but kept coming back to this one.
    As others have said, there is a little learning curve but once you get past that, it's awesome! I have the basics down now, but there's alot to this program.
    I get a good feeling using this over others. That it will be there when you need it. You have to like and trust the programs you use. This is one of them.
    I think you'll see this once you start using it.
    All the Best! Dan :cool:

7. Bio-Hazard

Thanks everybody, especially ErikAlbert. It sounds like easy program to use. I am still waiting for the download link. I still have few questions:

1. Do i need to save all the snapshot to c drive?

2. Do i need a seperate program to compress the snapshot?

3. What is the difference between normal snapshot and archived snapshot (.arx-files)?

Sorry about all the questions.

Kristian

8. ErikAlbert

1. All your bootable snapshot (max. 10) are stored on your C drive.
    You can NOT store or move any bootable snapshot to another partition.
    FDISR works only on the C-drive and ignores any other partition or other harddisk.

2. NO you don't need an extra program.
    FDISR gives you two choices when you create a new snapshot :
    - new snapshot (= normal) OR
    - new compressed snapshot.

3. An archived snapshot isn't bootable, you have to restore an archived snapshot in a new snapshot first and then you can boot in the new snapshot.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There are no stupid questions, only answers can be stupid. :)

PS: the trial version of FDISR is fully functional, so you can try anything.

9. Bio-Hazard

I have the trial download now. I will give it go tonight and see. Thank you for all your help.:thumb:

Kristian

10. Bio-Hazard

I just installed it and i have read the manual....thats was hard work, i really need a drink :D . It is working fine, but i do have a question. In the manual it says something about using FDISR in back up mode or system recovery mode...how do i know which one i am using?

Sorry about the stupid questions!

Kristian

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ask Eric, I think if u buy, it,s better to buy from raxco rather than LeapFrog.

12. ErikAlbert

Ignore all that. That is just a suggestion how to use FDISR. Backup Mode and Syst Recovery Mode don't exist as settings in FDISR.
    FDISR can be used in many different ways. For beginners it's best to begin with a WORK snapshot and a ROLLBACK snapshot to learn HOW to use FDISR.
    A WORK snapshot is for your daily activities, just like you did without FDISR.
    A ROLLBACK snapshot is used when your WORK snapshot is in trouble.

An example :
    You install a NEW software in your WORK snapshot, there are several scenarios :

Scenario-1
    The software is working fine, but you don't like it and want to get rid of it.
    Without FDISR you have to uninstall this software, including the crap it leaves behind.

In FDISR you copy/update FROM rollback snapshot to work snapshot.
    After that, the software is gone completely as it was never there.

Scenario-2
    The software is working fine and you like to keep it.

Then you copy/update FROM work snapshot TO rollback snapshot (to update the rollback snapshot)
    After that the software is installed on both snapshots.

Scenario-3
    The software corrupts your system very seriously, you might even get a frozen BSOD, you might even be UNABLE to boot in Windows.

1. You reboot your computer.
    2. You wait until the FirstDefense-ISR Splash Screen appears.
    3. You press the F1-key.
    4. You select your rollback snapshot, you confirm and you will boot in your rollback snapshot.
    5. You copy/update FROM rollback snapshot TO work snapshot (to recover the work snapshot)
    6. You reboot in the work snapshot and you are back in business as nothing happened.

That is called IMMEDIATE SYSTEM RECOVERY.

This is just ONE example how to use FDISR.
    As Peter said in his post hereafter, there are infinite ways to use FDISR for any purpose.
    You have to LEARN this gradually, not just in ONE day.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not only isn't a stupid question, but I just went back and looked at the manual and it is downright confusing. I'd forget that mode stuff and browse throught the forum, particularily the thread on How I use FDISR, and you will see. Understand the mechanic''s of creating and updating a snapshot.

There is no recovery mode vs backup mode switch. It's how you use the software, and frankly there is almost an infinte number of ways.

Pete

14. Peter2150

Actually as a home users you can't buy from leapfrog. Raxco has excellent support, I'd recommend them highly.

15. Bio-Hazard

Thanks guys. It was bit confusing but Eriks and Peters posts helped alot. I have only used it for a day and i think this one is keeper. I am going to have more time play with FDISR tomorrow...work keeps interrupting my fun!

Kristian

16. ErikAlbert

No sweat and believe me, this is just the beginning. I have FDISR since March 2006 and I'm still fascinated by this software and its possibilities.
    You won't regret your money, that's for sure.

17. Bio-Hazard

Thats great to hear. I am sure i wont regret buying it. I wish didnt have to work.

I am sure i will be back with more questions.:D

Have nice day!

Kristian

18. Peter2150

Enjoy Kristian. The more you learn about FDISR, the more intrigued you will be.

19. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Since this is a thread for noobs (like me), I keep seeing the use of the term 'frozen snapshot' used in connection with FD-ISR and was wondering if that's similar to a 'locked snapshot' in Rollback Rx. If not, can someone explain what that is? o_O

20. ErikAlbert

A frozen snapshot is like any other snapshot, but it removes ALL CHANGES (GOOD AND BAD) during reboot.

A frozen snapshot works with a "Freeze Storage" which is in fact a complete whitelist of all existing objects on your harddisk (snapshot), at least in my case.
    When you reboot in a frozen snapshot, FDISR will compare your frozen snapshot with the "Freeze Storage" by adding, deleting and replacing objects until the frozen snapshot = Freeze Storage. This happens during EACH reboot automatically.
    If your freeze storage is CLEAN your frozen snapshot will be clean also after each reboot.

Working with a frozen snapshot can be very annoying for a user, who still thinks he is working with a normal snapshot.
    A frozen snapshot requires a new attitude from the user, a new way of thinking and a new way of doing things, not every user is happy with this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  21. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Erik, thank you for that explanation. Without question FD-ISR's frozen snapshot is unlike any Rollback Rx snapshot! If I understand correctly, one can not save any legitimate changes to their system (e.g., new emails, downloads, newly created wordprocessing files, etc.) in a frozen snapshot because it would all be lost upon the next restart. If that's correct, then I see how it would prevent the system from getting infected, but I don't see how one can do any constructive work while in that 'frozen state'!!! :doubt:

22. ErikAlbert

I don't agree, because I separated all my personal data, documents, spreadsheets, pdf-files, emails, email-address-books, bookmarks, downloaded files ... from my system files, which means in practice :

Harddisk1 - System Partition [C:] = Windows + FDISR + Applications, but NO data.
    Harddisk2 - Data Partition [D:] = personal data, ... (it contains only folders and data files)

On my System Partition [C:], I have only two snapshots :
    1. Off-line snapshot which has no internet connection and I use this snapshot to work quietly without any disturbance.
    I also use this snapshot to recover my on-line snapshot if something goes wrong.

2. On-line snapshot, which has internet connection and this is a FROZEN snapshot, but only Windows and Applications are frozen, because my data is somewhere else and I have access to all my data in both snapshots.
    FDISR works only on the system partition and ignores any other partition or harddisk.

This is a very liveable setup without any annoyance. I don't even notice that my data is stored on another partition/harddisk.

The only annoyance is when I install new software PERMANENTLY. Then I have to re-freeze my snapshot.

I install alot of softwares in my frozen snapshot to try them, not to keep them. If I install 5 new softwares in my frozen snapshot during the day and I don't want them. I only have to reboot and they are gone.

New users see only the frozen snapshot itself, I don't. It's the combination of things that make it work and I'm very good in combinations, one of my personal talents. :)

23. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I understand where you are coming from, it's just that I (and probably many other users) would not find your technique convenient. I think it all boils down to your previous statement:
    As they say, 'different folks, different strokes' -- but thanks for the education.

24. ErikAlbert

Yes that is the main problem for most users, the change is too big :

On the other hand, I don't have to spend my time on :
    1. looking for the cause of problems in my system partition
    2. learning how to fix these problems
    3. bothering other people, to fix my problems
    4. running seven scanners on my computer to remove infections.

My frozen snapshot saves me hours of wasted time and that gives me time for new creative thinking.

Now RollbackRx does the same thing, so there is no difference, we just do things differently.

25. Peter2150

You are right Jo Ann. I've never even made a frozen snapshot. I have my primary snapshot, and a very stripped down secondary, that I just use for booting. I also keep a primary Archive. My archive is my "freeze" and anything else. Anytime I plan a change I update my archive. That way I can undo it by booting to the secondary, and updating my primary from the archive.

I've even change from Vista back to Win XP Pro by updating from an archive.
    Like you said "different strokes...."

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.