Thinking of trying Opera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JackBlack, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackBlack

JackBlack Guest

Was thinking of trying the Opera browser, and would like to know if i should download the Version with or without the java. And will using the java version make any changes to my system? Thanks to all for any assistance.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To get the full benefits of opera you need to get the java version. If you decide you don't like opera you can delete the java. I have used opera exclusevly for a long time and I wouldn't use anything else as long as opera is available.

I hope you like it
    bigc

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  3. JackBlack

JackBlack Guest

Thanks Bigc73542.

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I like Opera too. I just don't like how much screen space that it takes up. Firefox seems to be a combination of IE and Opera. I have all three installed, and I am using Firefox for this post.

The real issue with IE is its default settings. The zones are the best tools for protecting yourself. I have the Internet zone set to High, the Trusted zone set to Low, and the Restricted zone set to Medium. I have set the Internet zone to High to protect me from any malicious websites that I should wonder in to. Sites that I trust explicitly, bank and business (*.bankname.com, *.businessname.com), are put into the "Trusted sites" zone, with the HTTPS box unchecked. Sites that I use regularly, but do not trust fully (*.cnn.com) are entered here.

This technique is a pain for the average users. The reason for this is that you have to frequently add sites to the Restricted zone to get them to work.

Close Hauled

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

One nice thing about opera is the vast selection of skins, some of them take up a lot less screen space than others.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

JackBlack,

if you already have the Java SUN installed in your computer, try the version without the Java...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.