Thinking of migrating to KAV from NOD

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Monkey_Feces, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

What firewall would be a good replacement for comodo since it is incompatible with KAV? I heard KAV has a nice proactive defense that acts as a HIPS. Is it good enough for me to drop prevx1 and defensewall?

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Per the Proactive Defense Module (PDM) of Kaspersky: it's definitely sufficient to block malicious behavior, but it lacks the fine-grained control of a true HIPS program. Consider it as a HIPS program with built-in, unmodifiable rules that targets only malicious, not (potentially) annoying, behavior. If you're used to Prevx in Expert mode, PDM's lack of control will frustrate you to no end, but if you're looking for an automatic, dummy-proof solution, it does the job well.

3. Rickk

Rickk Registered Member

Monkey-Feces, you said:
    Huh? Where did you get that information from? According to the Kaspersky link below, KAV is indeed very compatible with Comodo.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t35796.html

(Maybe you meant to say KIS instead?)
    regards

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I don't think I've heard KAV'S PDM described as 'dummy-proof' before! As for lacking control and only targeting malicious behaviour, I think you must be referring to the 'Application Activity Analyser', which deals with behaviour analysis. However the 'Application Integrity Control' will allow control over what .exe progs can run without a prompt, what progs can be run as a 'Child' of another, and what .dll and other modules may load into progs. Does Prevx really offer this type of control?

Then of course there is Office Guard (for macro protection) and the configurable Registry Guard.

But to answer the original question, ZA works OK with KAV and I'm sure other FWs do as well.

I wouldn't wish to run Prevx with KAV's PDM, I think it would be superfluous. However, if you really did want fine control, SSM/ProSecurity etc would be the way to go; though personally I think Process Guard free together with KAV's PDM would offer formidable levels of protection (PG being simpler to use thanSSM etc).

5. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I'd say these top notch paid AVs are same thing, really no need to switch around.

6. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Hey Monkey_Feces!

I have installed KIS6 but NOT the anti-hacker part (I used KIS instead of KAV because KIS has the added extra of the anti-phishing component) with Comodo. The way to do it is to install Kaspersky before installing Comodo.

Everything seems to be running very nicely and reports on the Kaspersky forums say that they both work well together, but if you install Comodo first, Kaspersky will for some reason ask you to uninstall it and tell you that both are incompatible.

I'm pretty pleased after only a day (previously being an avid NOD32 user)and I DO feel safer with Kaspersky.

Good luck.

7. btman

btman Registered Member

I have KIS with Comodo, though KIS's anti-hacker is turned off. I did a workaround but yes installing KAV before Comodo will work too.

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

how much ram for KAV AVo_O i upgraded from 370 to 512 hope Kav runs better now MD

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

.621 is running like a charm for me. No issues, but do have it gutted a little bit. No antihacker or PDM.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i havent upgraded to .621 yet but im having a few problems with componants failing to start with .614.
    so i might install .621 later
    lodore

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If I could get Spy Sweeper to run a Scan without taking 90 mins with KAV or KIS installed, I'd buy KIS, the reason I wont swing to anything else but Spy Sweeper is they just dont have the cleaning power that Spy Sweeper has, be it a resourse monster or not ( in my case) plus I'm not wasting my 3yr licence, its still Top of the List in Many Reviews and with good reason. Back to the SS scanning issue :doubt: I've tried everything, adding to KIS exclusions, and ticking all or just some of the options, it still Stops, starts, stops starts, and takes 90 mins for a scan, yet with NOD it'll zip though in 16+ minutes. Incidently, I'm still waiting on a support ticket from SS on this issue, from 8 days ago, if any Webroot people read this, well, ANSWER MY DAMN TICKET YOU JERK! :mad:

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Compared to traditional HIPS programs, PDM is about as dummy-proof as you can get. It gives you nice alerts, color-coded in levels of severity, tells you if a behavior set means a process is likely to be a trojan/worm/something instead of letting you do the head-scratching by yourself, and so on and so forth.

And yes, PDM is severely limited in terms of configuration capabilities. You need to add individual applications into its ruleset one at a time, for instance (letting people use wildcards would've been nice...), and there's no way to set up anything more than the most general of rules. The registry defense is fairly customizable, application defense is quite limited, and file defense is practically non-existent other than what the presets give you.

Still, in all fairness, PDM was never designed to be a full-blown HIPS. It was designed to only target specific behavior displayed by the malware prevalent today, and I must say it does its job relatively well.

13. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

How would a 'dummy' know what applications to add? How would a 'dummy' know what rules to set or how to set them? How would a 'dummy' know how to customize the Registry Guard? How would a 'dummy' even know how to answer pop-ups from Reg Guard or Application Integrity Control?

That is why 'dummies' are so often being advised to disable large chunks of the PDM, if not the whole thing. That is why, irrespective of relative simplicity when compared to other progs and suitability for those with a little experience, I don't think anyone could fairly describe KAV's PDM as 'dummy-proof'!

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

what do you know. I would stay with Nod. Kav will slow your web browsing to a crawl and when it scans, your PC sounds like teeth grinding. No Nods "AV", IS BETTER.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Personally I have more confidence in the protection of KAV, but only if it runs well. My experience is that the current version of KAV is buggy, and NOD runs well with no conflicts.

Best,
    Jerry

16. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I'm actually experiencing the opposite.

I've wavered back and forth between both Nod32 and Kaspersky numerous times. I really enjoy both and after taking numerous flyers on each of them, I still had trouble deciding which one to go with.

That all changed recently... I had been using Nod on this computer for awhile and for whatever reason Imon would slow my pc down. Granted I'm willing to accept a little bit of slowdown.. it's a fair trade off for good quality protection.

This was literally slowing it down to a crawl though.... well beyond the 'fair trade off' level. The weird thing is it wasn't always doing this.. just started within the last couple months. Too bad also as again I like the product overall.

As of yesterday I'm giving Kaspersky another go and even with all Proactive Defense modules turned on and with both Web and File Antivirus cranked to high, the web surfing is much much faster and more efficient.

Myspace being one example. Always took forever to load with Nod32.... loading up super quick now.

Keep in mind this is also on my roommate's computer... my much better comp hit the fritz temporarily and hasn't been fixed yet. This computer was literally a less than 500 dollar Sam's Club special and has almost nonexistent ram and an obsolete processor.

17. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

KIS is running on my another computer and its working great

First time, I like KIS very much, ealter on same PC I was using NOD32+Comodo, but its having KIS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.