Thinking of installing ProcessGuard

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by AShaR, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

I am thinking of giving ProcessGuard a trial with a view to purchasing the full product as the option to protect more than one home pc is very attractive. A couple of questions though:

1) Are there any issues with the trial version as reading through some of the old threads I have seen users with problems recommended to upgrade to the full product to overcome these.

2) How do I ensure my system is clean before installing PG? If there is any sort of stealth rootkit I assume PG won't be able to pick these up as they will have been there prior to installation?

2. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Well I went ahead and installed the free version on my pc and the programme seems a lot more user-friendly than I was expecting. Only slight hitch on the first reboot after installation was that Windows checked the C drive for errors, but everything went fine from then on.

PG opened in learner mode but I am slightly dubious about leaving it in this state as it seems to accept everything so I switched into fully protected mode. I prefer to have control over what is launched and can put up with the initial noise as a pay off. Just wondering how safe is learning mode and is it advisable to let it run like that for a day or two?

Otherwise, I really like this programme and will probably upgrade to the full license pretty soon. Yes it's $40, but it's now a seasoned and stable product, I can use it on more than one pc and it's probably the easiest programme to run out of the box of it's type considering it's capabilities.

As far as I am aware, there are no fees for updates or upgrades either. Is that true?

3. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

Sorry AShaR,

I'm not really up on the licensing or upgrade policy, I should probably look at that myself!

But it's not a good idea to leave ProcessGuard in learning mode for long periods of time. The best approach is to reboot 2 or 3 times right in a row with learning mode engaged and then run in protected mode. This will get your basic default starting point done. Add the programs you want protected by ProcessGuard at your own pace by either turning on learning mode temporarily, or as you get more familiar with the product, you can do it manualy, giving minimal rights and adding more if the product complains or doesn't function correctly and ProcessGuard alerts keep flashing.

4. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

Almost forgot, on the how do I know if my system is clean before installing questions... There are a great many products for scanning and removing malware, many on this forum with free trials if you hunt around, or you may have a collection of products you already trust including scanning with your current anti-virus application.

5. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks rick, I have scanned my pc with three different anti-viruses including online, two different anti-trojans, a few anti-spyware programmes and Unhackme just to make sure! I am pretty sure that my computer is safe.

Your suggestion to use learning mode temporarily sounds very sensible, I'll do that. Further boots have gone without a hitch so will now download PG to my other pc and if all goes well will probably be purchasing a license. As far as I am aware there are no updates to pay for and major upgrades to the software must be a long way off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.