Thinking about a VPN but clueless about how it would work

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cherub, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Been reading some of the latest news about VPN's. I got a grasp on what they do but have other questions. I have a home network that 2 other computers/Xbox connect to the router. Now, if I was the only one that had a VPN on my desktop, their connections would not be effected in any way? And my computer would be the only one that would have the protection of the VPN? Do I have that right? I don't believe my wife and step son would want a VPN and I don't want to screw up their connections by using one myself.

Second question, I mainly use the internet for banking,reading blogs,weather and the like. I don't go to any underground sites or anything too "naughty". My question is, would a VPN really be cost effective for me? Considering my use of the internet, I'm not sure it would really be worth the money to invest in one. I guess, I'm wanting to know for a "simple" user of the internet would it be worth it.

Thanks for any feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

First question: Yes, a VPN on your machine won't affect other machines.

Second question: Everyone should use VPNs ;) VPNs cost something like $20-$200 per year. More or less, you pay more for some mix of faster speeds, better security and reduced vulnerability to your adversaries. But there are some ripoff artists.

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

With increased government snooping having a vpn feels like being a good netizen by avoiding ill informed censorship.

There have been a few threads on here about which vpn provider to use so have a look around.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've been thinking about VPNs lately too but I'm suffering from an information overload = too much information.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

6. mirimir

Or my site :)

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Vpns are sadly becoming a necessity of internet life these days of increasing censorship and surveillance. That has made them much more common and has also made them much more affordable. I find it a bit ironic that a technology that was originally developed to keep corporate traffic private is now necessary to hide from corporate surveillance.

My VPN budget is under a $100 a year these days. That includes 2 VPN providers and a couple of private tunnels on a VPS. The VPSes provide me a lot more than VNP tunnels so it is not a bad deal at all. Money well spent, all in all.

8. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. I feel like Krusty, there are so many VPN vendors, it's hard to know which to try. I will keep researching some other threads on the board and see what I come up with.

9. omg

omg Registered Member

In reference to the subject matter, "US Senate Overturns Obama Consumer Privacy Rule". Mozilla Firefox has a free add-on called, "Hoxx VPN Proxy". This add-on has very high ratings. One must sign in to take advantage of the above. Does anybody use this add-on in their firefox browser?

10. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I just checked out their site and works with other browsers as well. But after reading their Privacy Policy, I personally would not touch this with a 100 foot pole.

https://hoxx.com/privacy-policy/

This is horrible. :eek:

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, it looks like when using their services your privacy and security are reduced and not increased.

12. omg

omg Registered Member

Oh really! Thanks for the heads up!

13. aih

aih Registered Member

For what it's worth I have been using Private Internet Access (PIA) for maybe a year. My reason is security and privacy on open WiFi in hotels, airports, etc. when traveling. I'm not trying to hide or hide my data communication, but just protect myself on open public WiFi.

I chose PIA because of the reviews at the time I was looking. It's easy to use and it has been reliable for me.

14. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

I've been using another VPN provider that is also listed as one of the no-leak options on mirimir's site (for Windows, though it doesnt matter in my case as I'm using linux/iptables) thats not based in the US; its also easy to use and reliable.

I think its very important a VPN with a no-leak client is chosen (if on Windows/OS X)- and that narrows the choices quite a bit. I think all the ones listed as "no-leak" VPNs are likely to offer good service.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As others have said using a VPN on your machine will not impact others on your network. The main reason I've been using a VPN over the years is for protection on "open wifi" ie wifi that is not password protected and doesn't employ encryption. All those people sitting in cafes using free wifi are vulnerable to having their traffic "sniffed" if they're not using a VPN. Using a VPN on the desktop may be desirable as well especially since the recent change in US law that allows an ISP to track and sell browsing history. The VPN encrypts the traffic between your computer and the VPN provider so the ISP can only see the encrypted stream. The thing is the VPN provider can also track your traffic; you have to read their privacy policies carefully.

Currently I use F-Secure Freedome. It's extremely easy to use, performance is very good and it's affordable for three devices, so it covers my desktop, laptop and smartphone. Based on their privacy policy though I don't think it's one for freedom fighters.

16. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Too true! If you are using a "free" VPN or in this case a free browser addon, then you cannot expect the privacy that you are trying to achieve. Free apps have to make their money somehow and reselling your data is a popular route for them to go down.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

The more I search the more I realised there is a plethora of VPN providers to choose from. So far this one looks interesting and seems affordable.

https://www.ipvanish.com/en/

Maybe some of the experts could comment on IPVanish pro's vs con's.

Thanks.

18. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

Have to agree with you, you make some very sad but valid points.
    I got lucky and had some friends point me in the right direction and ended up Trying AirVPN for a 3 day Trial, 2 days into it
    I purchased a full year of service and could not be happier.
    When I got pointed in the direction of Air I was dead set on getting PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN
    I am so glad I did my homework, and listened to the suggestions I received. ;)

19. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

There is another side of a quality VPN client that many overlook. Why do we always operate with the assumption that other devices on our LAN are friendly and not hostile? The most obvious example is a public wifi, which we see and understand, but "our" LAN is overlooked as not having hostile devices on the network. Lets just stay with public wifi and then generalize that the same potential exists even in our homes where numerous smartTV's, etc.... exist. A great client (or your personal ip table firewall) will and should isolate your device completely from the other devices on the LAN once you are in the vpn tunnel. My tunneled devices will not even respond to a ping from any other device connected to the LAN. So in the public wifi scenario a "bad guy" sitting there pounding away on the devices connected to that public wifi LAN will never even get a response from my machine. Further my machine couldn't respond even if it wanted to because the great vpn clients allow you to configure isolation from the other LAN devices.

Its my way of saying protect yourself from both sides of the tunnel. Its the side that is easily overlooked and its an important one.

20. mirimir

Right. Good custom VPN clients also block LAN traffic. And if you're using stock OpenVPN, use firewall rules.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No-one? OK.

Here's another I'm thinking about. I'm looking for a provider that can offer decent speeds here in Oz.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

One thing though, they can't all be "The Fastest...", "Number one in the world", and "Tier-one". :doubt:

22. mirimir

Yeah, many VPNs say that. The good ones don't, so much. I've never used either of them, so o_O

23. PEllis

PEllis Guest

What are your thoughts on Norton WiFi Privacy? I'm using it and haven't noticed any differences in speed.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've been offered a free license to NWP, but Symantec end so many programs so often I just wouldn't feel secure knowing they could EOL it at any time. It's still in beta as far as I know anyway.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  25. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

Being using PureVPN for the past one or two years. I picked up a renewable after 5 years lifetime subscription, about US $ 100, still available on ghacks.net "Deals security section".
    Heaps of servers worldwide. OZ (Australian) servers superfast.
    Great support from my own experience.
    Some may not trust a company based in Hong Kong.
    Ps
    just make sure you keep all your info of transaction, username, password, activation number and whatever is sent to you from both PureVPN and the deal provider. Which is not Ghacks but Stackcommerce. Otherwise renewing without those details is impossible.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.