Things that you hate about linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

every here love linux but their are things which they dont like in linux or misses that linux didnt have it yet i wonder what these

if that should be added in linux it with be more great or that should be subtract from linux it would make it better

the things i hate about linux is very short support life cycle on may great distros, multimedia support........ photo edting support so far i know is VLC as best 2nd mplayer, and GIMP
    wish they atleast add Picasa 3 without wine

stability yes thats somewat i misses in linux now days too much beta type i wish one LTS distro is there on many other greats distros as well that you install and forget no more tweaking hiphop beta stuff

fedora 13, linux mint 10, ubuntu 10.10, ..... kubuntu 11.04, ....opensuse .........etc there are some and some of their versions are really rocksolid you can recomend them to everyone but pity short life cycle.....

2. mack_guy911

one things i miss yes better driver support we is pretty common problem in linux on many distro's

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol... I can see where this topic is going >_>

Anyways, as said, driver support. I've never installed linux and had it just work out of hte box.

4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I think that gazillions of distros are the biggest problem for Linux.
    Also, several desktop shells, sound systems ....
    With only one or two distros, single desktop shell and sound system, things would be much better for linux.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yep, too many distros; I'd really like to see a more collective focus from the top experts placed on just a few solid distros.

Driver support is definitely another. Finally, better "intuitiveness" to make it easier to troubleshoot/fix problems when they happen. This latter request is probably asking too much ;)

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I miss SAS, MBAM, Comodo Firewall, Sandboxie, Rootkithunter and Returnil ( that one was great ). Maybe I should install Wine. :D :p

7. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

There isn't anything I hate but there something in particular that I think should be improved upon.

I think the average user is put off from installing or using Linux and the distros don't exactly try and make themselves user friendly. This is way Linux flatlines when you look at charts that give a breakdown in percentages of who uses which OS (currently below other at under 1% for Linux worldwide).

Why don't the Linux distro developers all get together to produce one definitive and comprehensive guide, walkthroughs and documentation? It is easy for me to be a parrot and just copy a line of syntax to make Linux perform an instruction. But the Linux guide should explain what the command accesses so the user understands what is happening and why.

These guides should be available at point of initial download as an option and should be available via an integrated help menu via gui (so is intuitive ) and also via the command line. Also accessible as an ebook to read at your pleasure would be good.

All of this would remove the frustration of people continually going hunting through the internet for guides and help and would boost the number of Linux users imho because of better user-friendliness/support. The help on forums often uses language/syntax that the average person is unable to comprehend or use.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@cozumel

+1 :thumb:

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To many distors, they are distraction esp for new users.
    Command line stuff
    Lack of many software that are easy to find in windows

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What exactly is the problem with command line?

11. mack_guy911

sorry maybe i use the wrong word hate its like i being using linux more than 10 years but still i misses like tweaking ............etc make me sometime feel like windows LOL where i want to see linux more close to mac

sorry but its my own personal view from experiance

tweaking is fun but when you doing that form 10 years and you still see the future tweaking sometimes frustrates LOOL

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've adjusted my mind to that. Otherwise, I'd never be able to switch.

Plus Windows is so common that on the very extremely rare occasion that I must use a Windows program, I just visit a friend's place and use it :D

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Distros, flavours. I agree. There's just too many of them. That did hold me back for a while.
    Again, that's not a problem if one just ignores the "noise" which really isn't too difficult to do.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Too many distros with too few people spread to thin = lack of quality control. That's my main beef with desktop linux. Overall, for the most part (excepting a small few) too many bugs and issues, and lack of polished end product.

16. cozumel

@mack_guy

This thread would have been good as a poll.

Another vote for improved driver support

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Again, I'm lucky enough not to have driver issues.

I think Ubuntu has some sort of list that a person can look at to know, before committing, whether hardware is "Ubuntu-friendly". Not entirely sure about where I saw that.

Here: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I dislike that I can't call up my computer mfr & order my computer preinstalled with Linux or dualboot. Or order one of 10 or Linux distro LiveDVDs. That are ready to be installed & have everything work ootb. Also they should host the ISOs.

Oh wait! Its not Linux fault. It's the slaves to M$ I dislike. Come on Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, IBM, Acer, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, Fujitsu. Show some backbone!

19. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

the thing i hate about linux is if it's bricked i don't know how to fix it o_O

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Re. the variety, in terms of distros and DEs and WMs, a person, apparently a Mozilla dev, has this to say:
    Source: comment by Benoit Jacob dated 13th October 2011 in this blog

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hate is a strong word, but I don't like:

Weak QA, lack of year-long support and consequently backward compatibility.
    Too frequent update cycles and too many radical changes in the system.

Mrk

22. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

QA is a big one as Mrk says.

Too much fragmentation. Get too many competing projects (software, distributions). It hurts progress, quality and the end user.

User unfriendly. Sometimes its the software design, sometimes its the support. Even as a developer I've found it difficult to use some Linux software and have frequently suffered from terrible support when asking for help.

Cheers, Nick

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  23. cozumel

:thumb:

24. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I dislike the license, which prevents distro's from simply offer binary proprietary drivers in their repositories and on their installation media. I prefer the BSD license
    Also the ever changing kernel driver interface prevents a simpler binary distribution of closed drivers. (though, I understand that a static driver model like Windows offers has its disadvantages too)

25. d0t

d0t Registered Member

I've been using Ubunto for 3 months. Only think I had problem so far are the drivers :p

Everything else (the design, programs like Office and so) is pretty much great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.