Things are closing and freezing everywhere !!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CartoonBoy, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CartoonBoy

CartoonBoy Registered Member

Hope somebody can help me here. I will load a few screenshots to explain my problem(s) :doubt:

p.s I have windows 98 on this computer ( poor me ) :)
    Here's #1. I think this may be the main reason. How can I free this up ?? What do I need to do ??

Attached Files:

2. CartoonBoy

Number two. This is what I get when I CTRL/ALT/DELETE !! I don't have any of these open o_O As you can see, there are heaps more if I scroll down :doubt:

Attached Files:

3. CartoonBoy

Number 3: How do I get rid of some things here ? Like Do I need all of them there ? Will that slow up my computer as well o_O

Any help would be great 'cause IE and FF keep crashing as well as my email, very frustrating !!

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

WHAT IS all that stuff on your toolbar, CB? LOL!

5. Marja

I have a 98 I use when this one is wonky, like now, my connection is bad so if I disappear that is why.
    Have you cleaned out your FF cache, IE's temp files, cookies, ran disk clean-up? any of those?

6. CartoonBoy

Well most of it.......I don't know o_O And I don't like it there too much either. They are NOT my friends and are NOT wanted :mad:

LOL!

I will give him a clean up and defrag. It just seems to be opening all these programs and choking me up o_O

BAD COMPUTER!! BAD!! BAD!! BAD!! :mad:

7. zoriv

zoriv Registered Member

try to do this:
    - scan yr pc from viruses and spywares (if this doesn't help)
    - remove all unused programmes from yr pc (if this doesn't help)
    - reinstall yr os with newer version (if this doesn't help)
    - scrap yr existed pc and by new one

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

CB,

Did this happen all of a sudden? Can you recall any details leading up to the present?
    Have you ran you're av (anti-virus) and the results if any?

You can check a few items systemwise with the aid of this M$ page. See if the problem persists in safemode
    if you haven't tried (on page) and work with msconfig as described in the article, OK (covers startup folders as well).
    In the meantime, maybe give us a screenie of that msconfig off a reboot.

We'll await some answers... ;)

EDIT - Use this if any progs in Taskmanager don't look right. Here's a short but good page on memory.

GF

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  9. CartoonBoy

I have NOD32/Adaware/Kerio/Spybot and they find nothing.

O.K GF " answers that work " gives me this answer :eek:

Am I doomed ?? :(

This is in my Task List.

Attached Files:

10. CartoonBoy

It's been doing it since I " inherited " this computer a couple of years ago I guess.

I can't start in safe mode :doubt: And that's due to the virus I guess.

11. GlobalForce

OK CB,

I don't know the actual variant because it runs a few aliases depending on av vendor, but if you're system is ME you'll need to disable System Restore (on site). I gather NOD's you're only av so you may need to run a few online scans..........
    HouseCall (follow directions *closely* here first) and/or Panda Active-Scan (sorry I can't get onsite, active controls off). You could also retry NOD after following steps at Trend.

Let me know if you can reach ActiveScan... ;)

DO FIRST!!! One more thing CB, locate the file and right clk for properties and make sure it doesn't have these attributes.
    If they're close (very close), then hold the phone! :eek: (windows system folder, legit file size around 28kb's)

The kb's if it's a worm or virus will be much larger.

EDIT again :D - Reviewing you're first screenie shows Internat, NOT Intrenat like the show from ATW, so may be legit. :cool:
    If this is the case, reboot and put up a fresh screenie of msconfig. You may still try those online scans for comparison...
    see what shakes!

Know, you are not DOOMED! :D

GF

Attached Files:

12. CartoonBoy

I got this....

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
    Internal Name: Internat - exe
    Language : English (United States)
    Original Filename: INTERNAT.EXE
    Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Product Version: 4.80.3008.1

GF Thanks a squillion, I need a break but will shoot it out at sunrise :ninja:

GEEZ!! I can't even read properly!! And that's a good thing. :D

Thanks for the help and will surely be back to defuzzle the puzzle ;)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
  13. GlobalForce

GOOD! :D

It should have that question mark. :cool: If you don't have a more comprehensive startup monitor, AutoRuns would provide
    a more thorough listing. Create a folder for it on the hard drive and unzip. Likewise, a diagnostic running of HJT
    (file finding purposes, no logs here ;) ) would give some clues as to what else may be the culprit. You'll find HJT
    contains a small program (under misc.tools) called StartupList that generates a text file offering more than
    Taskmanager or msconfig. Don't forget, HJT has a small process viewer included. :cool:

In case you've never had HJT onboard (Important!), create a folder for it on you're drive and unzip the contents there,
    then make sure all browser windows are closed before running. Latest version at 1.99.1. Brief tutorial here and here.
    Again, reference ONLY!

Check you're memory setting's and post back when you've made some discoveries. ;)
    Sunrise is'a com'in... :D

GF

PS - Do me two favor's :-* ....set you're puter to "show all files", then run another search for internat.exe.
    There may be more than one instance. Check properties for any others that may show up, note the locations.

Don't post a screenie, but give me the file version of Internat.exe. After viewing information off a 98 system I have access to, I'm not so sure it's supposed to be that big...still suspect. My system shows the file at 28kb's, not 39.4, file version 4.10.2222. I recall that particular file being susceptible to exploit but will need more time to research. I'll Post back on this, OK.

Here's an online scan you can submit just the file, Jotti's (read the disclaimer). You'll need Java enabled.
    Maybe make a copy first, tuck it away somewhere in case... ;)
    :ninja: :D

14. CartoonBoy

This is Autoruns list:

Attached Files:

15. CartoonBoy

This is System Config :

( I'm running blind here so I hope I putting the right things up.........I am learning but ;) )

Attached Files:

16. CartoonBoy

O.K I ran HIJACK THIS ( I know I can't post that here ) which helped my shake off a BHO and a couple of other thing which H2GO said were taking up space :D
    I think were getting somewhere GF !!! This is like a rocket now :D :D :D As yet hasn't crashed or frozen up on me ( fingers,toes and eyes crossed :p )

And LOOK !! GEEZ !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

17. CartoonBoy

Well I have two instances:

Version 4.80.3008.1 which is 39.4kb ( created January 1999 )

and

Version 4.10.1998 which is 28kb - this one's filemane is internat.win BUT when I look at the properties for the " original " filename it says internat .exe ( created March 2005 )

They are both in the same location.

;)

18. GlobalForce

CB,

I'll keep this short to let you know I'm still investigating.

I think you'll have to research any funky files cause the Autoruns screenie isn't providing me actual file names,
    they're etc'trad? :D

The msconfig run command is correct, but wrong tab. Startup is the one we want. ;)

Based on you're ecstatic :D reaction to running HJT, sounds like you fixed a couple of items, yes?
    Do you remember what the BHO was, or you'd just rather forget? :p :D

System Properties looks good (I think). Say, how is virtual memory being handled...auto or set?

Two instances, same location, different size (still suspect), and then you go and drop that win extension on me!
    I think that refers to a language pack or something. The version, size, location sound right for the 28kb file,
    not sure of that win extension though. The 39.4....SUSPECT! Word around the web confirms my suspicion.
    I'll need some time for a concrete explanation, maybe! ;)

And stop be'in so gosh darn funny, I can't concentrate! :D :cool:

GF :ninja:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  19. Marja

See, CB, I told ya someone would come around to help, glad to hear you are running a rocket! LOL! :)

20. CartoonBoy

Yeh, I appreciate your help GF, When you get the chance is fine. Much appreciated ;) :D

This WAS the BHO :

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\TOOLS\IESDSG.DLL (file missing)

Virtual memory is on auto, should I change that o_O

Oh! and I DID install a korean language in..........guess when...............MARCH !!
    So that makes sense.

Here's the startup msconfig :

Attached Files:

21. Marja

Even with a newer computer, that HP stuff drags mine down if it is on startup?? How do you manage, CBo_O?

22. CartoonBoy

Yes! You're right Marja ;) I got some good help from you as well. It may be madness but my mouse seems to move faster :D But certainly pages are opening quicker..........AND I"M STILL HERE!! Still got some more to do I think to get my memory a little lower :D

23. CartoonBoy

It seems O.K. HP loads up Director and other things I dont use, but I'm afraid if I remove them I will lose use of the printer ( it happened with my last printer ) and have to re-install it again. :doubt: Not that it's a BIG drama, but I got better things to do :D

24. GlobalForce

hmmm...yeah jus' a lil time lol. ;)

Hey it's :cool: CB. You ARE quite humerous...shake a leg! :D
    If auto memory's work'in for ya, run it that way unless conditions warrant otherwise.

Overall, system running better...like a rocket? :eek:

You can uncross the eye's, just keep you're toes and fingers crossed for now. :D I see aptezbp.exe belongs to IBM's
    "rapid access buttons," funky file! Looked odd at first, but then remembered who I was addressing. :D ~ j/k ~ CB. ;)

Bit shot right now, but will continue with that Internat file for you.
    I wanna know one way or another!

EDIT - Just caught note of this (so maybe I'm not that shot!)
    This would explain the win extension! :cool: That files OK. It's the other instance I question.
    To be continued...

GF :-*

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.