þïѲ® ÀO¹8m i-hate-microsft †¨Ï³7Q„Lµe$¢

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This maybe should be in the privacy forum, but I do not know if it is a privacy issue or just sounds like one.

Tracking.log, part of "systemvolumeinformation" : What does it do?

a very long time ago I mentioned that I named my computer "I hate microsoft" so that if Microsoft really was spying on me they would get the insult they earned, and if not, then of course they would not be seeing it, so no harm done.

As the world turns I reformated that partition many times, and have always named my computer something new and pointless...but i catch that tracking log and open it up and it is still "tracking" stuff that happened many formats ago?

does anyone know what this thing if for? its only about a page long, but 20kb is reported for size. somethings up!

-HandsOff

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi HandsOff,

Here some information about this Folder.:)

Hope it helps

http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_volume_information_folder1.htm

3. HandsOff

Hi Antarctica-

Yes, it does help, thank you! The reason I am looking at it is because it seems like something it does, probably preserving the desktop.ini causes some of my icons to display different icons - one's that I used in the past. XP usually figures it out eventually, but the implications that possibly obsolete information is being restored, when I do not even use restore bears taking a closer look.

there is at least one other interesting behavior. That has to do with the indexing service connected with the related file folders "INCINERATE", and "RECYCLE". Apparently these use the indexing service, and I do not know what to make of that. How and why could they be indexing on a computer that has disabled that feature, and my feeling, at this point, is that this will prove to be a very significant issue with regard to disk management. Anyways, thanks again, no I see where this is all coming from!

-HandsOff

4. Antarctica

You're welcome HandsOff.:)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I see the title all scrambled up. What character set did you use to write it down?
    Mrk

6. Antarctica

I may be wrong, but probably he used the International Characters.

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp

7. HandsOff

Hi-

I'm pretty sure it was notepads default font, but actually I have never though of actually translating it. I have come to think of that sort of writing as being something to do with hard drive ID.

The thing that is odd is how OLD information from previous installs keeps filtering into my fresh reinstalled application.

(recall computer name "I Hate Microsoft" was from a couple years ago! The only thing that name can do know is provide confusion!

it's always worried me:
    1- That windows tries to keep track of where you keep your files
    2- If you move files alot you are probably moving metadata of all kinds that you dont even know exist! There is potential for mistakes when windows forces you do invisible actions when ever you do some common tasks. I'm trying to figure out how to put an end to it, but the list of suspects is growing, and again, you never really know what functions they effect. Some say, don't fool with the file system, but, really, I'll fool with it if I want to!

Here is one example: everyone moves folders, often from one partition to the next. there very often is a desktop.ini file. Is it going to have data in it that, say, if archived, could come back in an installation where whatever data it has is false. then of course there are many more, some of which are hidden so you don't see them often. If I knew exactly what they did...instead I get to see more strange cases of old names and icons returning like ghosts!

Just to make it maybe less confusing. I store data on an external drive that I use to restore data partitions. In this scenario (i am learning) that for some reason in Recycle, and Incinerate are links to S-1-5-21 ID's, (or something like that). Now for some strange reason, when you add new files to the external drive, they carry a new S-1-5-21 ID with them. This can go on untill you have quite a little collection of ID's, however, in your registry, there is still only one. Big deal, right? Well, it gets confusing thats all. How much underpinning do these files have? All I know is that data should not be there at all. especially if I do not use the services that they are children of (Indexing, and Restore). And I like for things I kill to stay dead!

Oh, wait, there is more! it has to do with limited permissions on firewire, usb drives...but that's another story

-HandsOff

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.