Thge ideal backup system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Back me up Scotty, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just want to automaticly backup my drives.
    TI8 works in the background so it doesn't matter much if a backup takes 15 minutes extra. And restoring.... well there highspeed can make some diffrence but restores are done seldom. Hopefully never :)
    But when looking at backup offerings it's always systems like dual Xeon and highend drives.
    For my little network that's huge overkill.

I'm thinking of using an old system that's just catching dust.
    Specs: AMD t-bird-900, 768MB PC133 ram, 16MB videocard.
    That's it. I have to buy other components like casing, PSU and ofcourse HDs.
    Is such a system adviseble on a 1Gbit LAN with (reasoneble) high-end PCs?

Any other idea's?
    It has to be maintainace free so I guess tapes etc are not what I'm looking for.

2. root

root Registered Member

I was doing something like that for a while, but I switched to an external USB hard drive. I think that would be cheaper for you and that way you don't have to mess with network settings.
    When not using the external drive, I turn it off and that way it will never get nailed with anything I might pick up from the net.

3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I have described the NAS that I have made out of old parts here.

Gigabit lan is probably overkill. With my RAID5 and K6-III 450, it really wouldn't be able to comfortably handle much more than 100Mbit LAN anyway.

If it's just for backups, then I agree that a USB drive makes more sense. Plus your power bills will be lower. :) But in addition to storing ATI images, it's also a store for my MythTV recordings, MP3s, transcoded videos, DVD works-in-progress, and more. So a NAS is really nice to have.

4. wdormann:
    I'll check that link. Thanks
    Gbit LAN partly because all my PCs have it onboard :)
    Besides the old one described.

Root:
    It must be fixed. I know myself a little bit. If it isn't done automaticly soon I'll will forget to backup. That what I'm trying to avoid with this new setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.