They just don't quit phishing

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This came in my yahoo mail. Look how many spelling mistakes. And I don't even have a citibank account.

Attached Files:

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hey BigC I believe everything these people say, I mean, after all they ARE a Bank therefore they would never lie to us would they. Just because the speeling si a tib dicky thas bcuse these good people employ the unemployable, you must admit they are all heart if nothing else. ;)

I have no problem at all sending PIN numbers and Account details, I just send made up ones to give them something to do together with a fictitious bank in Africa somewhere, they love it! :mad: (NOT!)

Just think, this way your helping to keep people in employment. :D

Cochise, :cool:

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Maybe they need some money to buy a dictionary? :rolleyes:

4. bigc73542

really it is unbelieveable that people still fall for something as hokey as this bad spelling and all. Especially after all the warnings about it. The main reason I posted this one is because of the really bad spelling. I get at least two of these a week but usually from different banks or card companies. They are as dumb as a box of rocks If they think I would ever send them the time of day.My primary credit card is with visa and I received a letter in the real mail over a year ago from them stating that they would never try to contact me by e-mail. ;)

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I got one of those a few weeks back (rare at my address, compared to other spam) -- can't even remember which acount it supposedly related to.

I keep in fairly close touch with the PhoneBusters (joint RCMP/OPP operation), so just passed that one along to them. Who knows, maybe someone will take pity on these guys and donate them a spell-checker. :D

6. bigc73542

I hear they have adult education on prison ;)

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) For fellow Canucks here's the link to the new
    RCMP Online Page

I send all the criminal online stuff/emails to them.

Point to make about the bad spelling. It is more likely that the email was produced by a virus and not by a person. Viruses cannot spell worth beans even if programmed to do so. ;)

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I Always wondered on something like that..do you ever hear back from them ??

9. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

The sad part about thses E-mails is people still send their account numbers and pins even with the bad spelling.

I do not keep any more info than I have to on my computer and I do not like giving any information out over the phone.

10. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I haven't yet looked at the RMCP link Prince_S provided -- it's been a while since I've looked there (the site generally), so I'll be interested to see what's new.

99 percent of the stuff I pass on to PhoneBusters goes to their WAFL address which is specifically for Nigerian Letters and close cousins. I'l almost always get back an auto-acknowledgement, and that's it for that particular item -- essentially they're collecting as many as they can in hopes they might actually succeed in tracing some.

11. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Yup..patti was the latest to get hooked on that one..
    Falling victim to Nigerian letter scam

The highest median loss per case, nearly $3,900, stemmed from the so-called “Nigerian
    letter” scam.

The new variant cheats consumers who sell goods online. The overpayment fraud occurs when the person receiving the cheque is actually owed money for goods sold.

The seller receives a counterfeit cashier’s cheque from the “purchaser” — an amount in excess of what is owed. The seller is asked to deposit the cheque and wire the balance of excess funds immediately back to the sender/purchaser.

The deposited cashier’s cheque is subsequently returned as counterfeit and charged back.

Phonebusters says e-mails are being sent to computers throughout Ontario. Many people believe that it is senior citizens who fall victim to these types of frauds but their research shows most victims are between 30 and 40 years of age.

January 02, 2004

http://www.kingstonthisweek.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=53806&catname=Local+News

- Fixed thread width by adjusting link - LWM

12. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D DAMN NO ONE FALLING FOR IT I KNEW I SHOULD HAD USED I-E SPELL BUT I WAS LAZY LOL

13. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey...
    now... did someone say money?? and phishing... was just chking my mails today.. and :eek: here it comes... and look at the "to" address.. thats not mine... still.. the mail is in my inbox.. not to say i have never known one Mrs Mariam Abacha....
    From: "Mrs. Mariam Abacha" <mariam55@katamail.com> Add to Address Book
    To: stevec3636@yahoo.com
    Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:23:09 -0800
    Subject: Hello

Attention:Sir

I am Mrs. Mariam Abacha, widow of the late Gen. Sani Abacha former
    Nigerian
    military head of state who died as a result of cardiac arrest. The name
    of your company appeared in one of our directories as one of the
    companies
    my late husband wanted to do business with before he died. I therefore,
    decided to contact you in confidence so that I can be able to move out
    the
    sum of US$50,000,000.00 ( Fifty Million United States Dollars Only)
    which
    was secretly defaced and sealed in four big metal boxes for
    security reasons.

I personally therefore appeal to you for your urgent assistance to move
    this money into your country were I believe it will be safe since I
    cannot
    leave the country due to the restriction of movement imposed on me and
    members
    of my family by the Nigerian government. Upon receipt of your response,
    my lawyer shall
    arrange you towards the effective completion of this transaction.
    However,
    arrangements have been put in place to move this money out of the
    country
    in batches in the secret vault through a diplomatic security company to
    Europe.

Conclusively, I have decided to offer you 25% of the total
    sum while 5% will be for whatever expenses that will be incurred while
    70%
    is to be held in trust by you subsequent to our free movement by the
    Nigerian
    government.

Please reply urgently and treat absolute confidentiality and sincerity,
    and send your response to my son. Please contact my son Mr. Abba Abacha
    immediately on his email (aabacha@primposta.com). I have decided that
    this transaction exist between you and my son, MR. Abba Abacha. In your
    reponse, we will need from you your full name and address.

Best Regards
    MRS. Mariam Abacha.

Attachment

bbd.txt
    .txt file

Save to my Yahoo! Briefcase
    Download File
    View Attachment

not to say i din open the great "bbd.txt" attached who knoz hou many dollars are thr in the attachment :D
    ....wat the hell

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hiya Subratam,
    Don't tell me thats the first time you've had such a brilliant offer from darling Mariam Abacha, she and I are old friends, she used to write to me about three/four times a week until I started bunging her 'box' up with returned mail or false information which was more fun than just deleting or banning sender, I just forwarded all my other spam mail to her as well, I just knew she would appreciate it.

Funnily enough I don't hear much from the dear lady now, I wonder if it's something I said?.

But seriously tho', if anyone actually falls for that sort of drivel then they deserve all they get because they obviously look at the offer with greed as the driving force.

Regards, Cochise, :cool: :D

15. subratam

subratam Registered Member

no cochise ..ofcourse not the first time i am gettin a mail like this from her or anyone else... my question is.. hou the heck this happens.. and shud i giv the blame to the email server also?? coz its "to" field is someone i dunno also... man... this web is not a safe place anymore if it was anyday
    greed... people are there today also... fallin prey to this kinda offers... they deserve ...wat they gets in return

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.