These Updates Failed Installing for Microsoft Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

it said Windows Vista, Windows Server 08x86
    and Security Update Microsoft Framework 1.1 SP 1 failed installing.

Do I need to install those manually? Why does it say Windows Vista if I have XP? I'm a bit confused..

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Since you run XP and not Vista or Server, why are you even trying to install those updates? Those aren't for XP, so it sure doesn't seem likely you got them thru Auto Updates.

.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 maybe same thing. Do you even have .NET 1.1 on your machine?

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

She installed the updates through the yellow windows update shield. Also why is she getting those updates if she has XP?

4. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

I don't know if I have .NET 1.1 on my machine or not. But the yellow shield appeared so I just tried installing all those updates that gave me. But 2 of them failed. After I restarted my computer, it said there was an error for something but I just clicked on "send error report to microsoft".

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Don't know why BUT unless you know how to list what is running on your PC it is hard to advise you. If you or your friends know how to look at Task manager processes you could see what versions of these are on your PC. If not then I advise you to do NOTHING!

6. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Look in the Add/Remove Programs list to see which version or versions of .NET Framework are on the machine.

Attempting to install an update that doesn't fit the architecture of your OS could well cause an error message on reboot-- or more.
    Sending a report to Microsoft is worthless, but not a problem that you did it.

I have no idea at all why Auto Updates would offer you updates that are not designed for your OS. But trying to install a Vista or Win7 update on an XP machine is not going to work.

Many people have problems getting .NET updates to install properly, btw. So for that one, even having the correct version of .NET on the machine to begin with is no guarantee the update will install without issue.

Check your Event Viewer logs (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer) under 'System' and 'Application' for red 'X' error messages.
    Double-click on the message itself in the right-hand pane to get the details.
    This will be at least a clue or guide to where a problem lies.

~ Removed Off Topic Remarks ~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. Let's keep the focus on the topic, and not the members. Thanks!

8. Chuko

Chuko Registered Member

Happened to me too, twice. Downloaded that file under high priority since patch tuesday. Only managed to install after deactivating the AV. You may want to give it a try. All the best. Just remember to re-activate your AV after that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I sympathize with you also. It happens to me every month when the updates come out. I use w7 x 64 though. I simply restore an image form the last successful time I updated from a month before. I then install all the updates and start over. I am starting to suspect the my AV NOD32 ESS5 is the culprit because when I install without an AV it works. I have no answers maybe this will correct itself this month but I have I have my doubts.

10. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In Windows 7 x64, I have frequent problems when installing WU updates. Some or all the updates are not installed, code errors appear. In fact, this is the worst problem I have encountered in Windows 7.

I have solved this problem in two ways:

Using the procedure described in http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97775-update-error-80070643-a.html.

Restoring a system partition image. Problem is, the same problem can happen with the restored image. To avoid this, I usually create an image right after updating successfully.

The only real-time AV I use is MSE.

11. Woody777

That is the exact error I got for some months now. Glad you finally sort of fixed it. I am not sure I can follow that proceedure. I may just have to rely on system images. I am wondering what is the cause of the Problem. Apparently, I am not alone!!

12. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You and the others posting with this issue are not though being offered updates for a different OS than the one you use, correct?

And I'm not sure how restoring an image changes anything, as far as you're then back to square one like before, which should mean that whatever updates didn't install before still shouldn't install after the image restoration-- since everything is theoretically right back the way it was just like when the updates first wouldn't install.

That's what detectives would call "a clue", no doubt about it.

13. Woody777

I was not making myself clear. The restored image was in fact able to install all the updates offered. But then I proceeded to use it for the next month. After that half the updates would not install. Microsoft trouble shooters were of no help also. I restore the image to the last time I successfully installed updates, & no problem everything installs. As for NOD32 yes it had a problem for a while. Supposedly being fixed sometime in the past. This has happened for 4-5 months now. Most of the errors were for Microsoft net. Yes, net is installed, I do not think Microsoft is offering any updates that are not for my computer. After the last & most recent issues I started to use VMS while locking the system with Wondershare Time Freeze. It made no difference, Restored to the last succesful try all the new updates installed fine. I suppose I should try Avast 6 free with Private firewall combination & see if that solves the problem next month, I do have an image for that combination.

14. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Okay. I think I understand what you mean in the first part. (I definitely understand the last part.) Thank you for clarifying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.