there is a bug in AVG 8.0 Link Scanner & Firefox 2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I just installed today on two separate computers not related in 2 separate locations Firefox 2.0.0.14. One computer is running xp home sp3 and one xp pro sp3. AVG Pro 8.0 is on the xp pro machine and AVG 8.0 free is on the xp home machine.

After the installation of Firefox, on both machines AVG Save Search 8.0 is not in "add ons". and when googling a word is not showing up after the search results.

Isn't AVG suppose to see the new browser and add the add ons?

One would think you should not have to reinstall AVG 8.0 to get it into Firefox.

I restarted firefox 2x to see if AVG would pick it up but that did not work.
    I tried unchecking link scanner, closing AVG then restarting it and rechecking Link Scanner- still it would not put the add on into Firefox 2.0

So what is going on.

Understand each computer was at a different location and the exact same thing happened.

robin

2. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

3. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

my guess is that you may need to reinstall linkscanner/avg in order to get it to work in firefox... usually you need to install browser addons after the browser...

4. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

yes, the only way i could get the add on to work was to reinstall AVG 8.0 which seems strange.
    The program should detect that firefox is being installed and add the "addon" to it once it does install.
    You should not have to reinstall a virus protection software again to get link scanner to work- it should find it and pick it up.

For the pro version he has all his firewall setting set and did not want me to reinstall the program. I tend to agree with him because he would have to start all over again, so in his case I just installed Mccafee siteadvisor into firefox.

robin

5. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

it's actually standard behaviour for all browser addons... they don't automagically detect when you've installed an entirely new browser and reinstall themselves for that browser...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.