There are only two Blockbusters left in the world, and one is closing

Discussion in 'hardware' started by guest, Mar 7, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

There are only two Blockbusters left in the world, and one is closing
    The last of the movie rental's stores in Australia will close at the end of the month
    Mach 7, 2019

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/07/last-blockbuster-in-australia-closing/

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My local Blockbuster store closed a few months ago. A friend of mine was devestated about having nowhere to rent movies anymore.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Don't you have those machines at Woolies or Coles? There's two in this small town, not that I've ever used them.

4. roger_m

Yes, but understandably they have a much smaller selection of movies.

5. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Imagine being that single blockbuster employee: "Wait, what's that? I'm hearing some sound? Is someone coming near the door? Yes yes I think someone's coming!!!" - "Ahh nevermind, that was just the wind and that annoying fly" :D

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

True, but a lot of older movies can legally watched online if you know where to look. May not be the case for the latest releases though.

7. roger_m

Yes, but until very recently his only way to access the internet was by using his phone as a wireless hot spot and he only had limited data usage on his mobile plan.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Is that still a thing? ;)

Sure enough, my current plan allows 30 GB a month for $49 for the first year. 15GB each year after.

9. roger_m

He's got more monthly data now and I think a 4G modem as well. He saves money by not getting the internet hooked up at his house. It's not something I would do.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's funny, I've read that Blockbuster had the chance to buy Netflix way back, but they declined. I also wonder why they never transformed into a streaming service? That's what the biggest video-rental chain (Videoland) in Holland did.

https://www.justwatch.com/nl/provider/videoland/movies

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"World's last Blockbuster will host video-themed Airbnb sleepovers

Money can buy nostalgia at the rate of $4 per night at the world's last Blockbuster video store in Bend, Oregon.

Later this month, the Blockbuster and its utopian promise of VHS-fueled movie nights will be available as a temporary Airbnb complete with a pull-out couch, bean bags and unfettered access to the store's film collection..."

https://www.cnet.com/news/worlds-last-blockbuster-will-host-video-themed-airbnb-sleepovers/?UniqueID=05717B02-DC07-11EA-8C59-B1D74744363C&PostType=link&ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&TheTime=2020-08-11T19:15:30&ServiceType=twitter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resi...aws.com/public/7XXSYIG334I6VNHREW3WFTN36Q.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  12. longshots

longshots Registered Member

I feel your pain. "The Cheesecake Shop" which was just around the corner has now shut. I'm gutted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.