Theory About PestPatrol

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by luv2bsecure, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I have a theory on the sudden increase in false positives from PestPatrol. First of all, I should say that I don't use PestPatrol any longer as the false positives have just become ridiculous. But, my theory: I believe that the PestPatrol sale has been in the works for longer than most people think. For those that don't know, PestPatrol was sold to Computer Associates three days ago http://www.internetweek.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=29100532
    Anytime a sale is pending in just about any business things slack off in quality, customer service, you name it. I honestly think that might be the cause of the PP problems of late.

It will be interesting to see if - and how - CA keeps PestPatrol available as a consumer tool. The main reason for the purchase was to integrate a spyware detection system into their enterprise packages. Time will tell.

Any takers on my theory? I may be all wrong, but I've seen this kind of thing play out time and time again and it's the rarity that a pending sale (with things in limbo) does not detract from productivity and quality in many areas.

John
    Luv2BSecure

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi John,

It seems like a possibility. ZoneLabs recently changed hands and now a previously highly regarded firewall seems plagued by buggy upgrades and bloat (Just my opinion, and I still like ZAP, but less than the 4.5 versions). How long a span of time before and after an aquisition do you think the "slack off" effect exists? I ask because Pest Patrol has been having these problems for a long time (although seemingly more intense recently). Is it just employee's job insecurity? Maybe it is just a bad business model or poor management.

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It would be nice and generous to think so . however I had a licence 2 yrs ago for pest patrol and there were untold issues. I was quite supportive of them and at that time they had opened their forum . I learnt that false positives were a regular occurance back then . Also when ever the update s happened it would be hit and miss whether it would flow smoothly on my pc. They did have a great response time , usually within 24 hrs , and their knowledge base on spyware etc is great . The pest patrol software just seemed to keep coming up with issues.
    There were quite a few rigorous threads here at wilders concerning Pest patrol at that time . I couldnt continue using it after a few months due to the ongoing issues . It would be nice to think its improved .

4. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

It is true that there have always been problems. Maybe it's just me - I was "out of the loop" for a year - (and really more) - but it seems that the FP's have just soared of late. Maybe it has nothing to do with the sale - but it was a thought! :)

John
    Luv2BSecure

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hopefully CA can apply some of their better technology to Pest Patrol's signature base and make a better product for everyone.

And who knows, maybe CA just told them to keep collecting samples and not worry about developing the current engine further.

6. Ruffian

Ruffian Guest

Well if this theory is true, the Pest Patrol people must have known about the impemding sale for years! :p

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.