Themexp.org going downhill?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by notageek, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I did a search and didn't see the topic anyware. :) I'll post a link and let the poeple that read it decide on the feeling of this topic.

Themexp.org has bundle some of their themse and such with adware. here's a quote from the site.

"In order to keep our costs down, some of the files on this site have been wrapped with advertisements. This has nothing to do with the theme authors and they are not making any money because of it. It is simply a way for us to pay for bandwidth and servers to keep this site going."

http://www.themexp.org/about_wrap.php

I would like to know what everyones thought is on this subject. But please be nice. :)

2. sig

sig Registered Member

I saw a thread on this over at BBR and also at the themexp.org forum. At least they are up front about it and it is opt out for those who bother to pay attention to what they download. And evidently the adware is only bundled with the skin/wall author's permission.

I understand from reading their forum that they are looking to pursue other options for raising revenue for the site. Regular banner ads and popups really aren't really a significant revenue source for such high bandwidth use sites. And those can be blocked by users anyway if they know how.

Although some people have reported gain/gator on the site (not bundled with skins). I don't know because I block such things anyway.

More such sites may wind up going to the subscription method like Deviant Art. I certainly find that preferable to adware/spyware. The problem then is getting people who routinely use the site to buy subscriptions. Some people will do so to support the site while others, especially if any significant restrictions are put on their use of the site without a subscription will scream about "greedy" site owners.

The bottom line, is someone has to pay for the bandwidth. So far the site has an opt out and it remains to be seen how they plan in future to raise revenues. Since ThemeXP.org has no apparent affiliation with StyleXP that is not a funding source. People may complain about the adware even with an opt out. But how many of those people will buy subcriptions to support the site if that is offered as an alternative?

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Point well taken. I don't go over to the BBR anymore. I was told that I couldn't use my wifes account and that was that I stayed away. Back to the matter at hand. I don't mind what Themexp are doing. If they want to do it that way and make money that's fine. But if they would of went and bundled the stuff in without warning us well that's another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.