Theme-It! Look 'n' Stop Application-filtering Alert screens alternative style

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Phant0m, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Theme-It! Look 'n' Stop Application-filtering Alert screens alternative style.​

Hi.

I will be releasing a new plug-in for our old (but beloved) Look 'n' Stop product.

I'm calling it, Theme-It! Basically to bring a ' new-old ' look to our beloved Application-filtering alert screens.

I made several plug-ins already, one actually being of the same type. Therefore not my first trip down this road.

The other one has a file digital signature verification mechanism. This one currently doesn't, but still can be appreciated in it's purest form anyways.

This plug-in was entirely of a new making, I didn't even look at the old plug-in file code (and haven't for years.)
    -

Wasn't initially my reasons for doing up another one; however I wanted to address the visual issues regarding Look 'n' Stop own Application filtering screens not showing the full paths at times, and other times bottom part of the path information being visually cut off. Today we use various screen sizes, using different DPI, resolution, font styles and sizes settings. This can cause our older (even new favourite) software GUI (Graphical User Interfaces) to be visually impaired.

I was making this plug-in for personal reasons, even though I didn't need to take on the entire task of handling all of Look 'n' Stop – Application-filterings. My intentions are to make it support stubborn software connecting that are being re-created dynamically under new folder. This causes security software to prompt us to add again what is seen as something new, but for the same product.

In a short period of time, I'm finding that I need to visit Look 'n' Stop – Application-filtering screen and go through the list of applications and locating the redundant application entries for the same thing and cleaning these all up.

This feature I don't imagine I'll be making it available. If something changes I'll let you all know.

Anyways without further ado; here following are some screen-shots (of me being in advanced mode.) I will be posting the new plug-in sometime in a weeks period. I would be very interested in your feedback and possible ideas to enhance our experience with our old but beloved Look 'n' Stop product.

Adv_StartApp.png

Adv_ConApp.png

Signature_Change.png

Bests Regards,
    Phant0m`` (Long Live Look 'n' Stop!!!)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Phant0m

As promised.. here it is!

This release is simply pure, It offers nothing much more than a refreshed appearance to the Look 'n' Stop – Application-filtering alert screens. In theory; regardless the screen size, resolution and DPI settings used. You should always be seeing the complete file paths and not shown to be cut-off in length or height and making it more difficult to know the file location in question.

Included with this release; the ability to click on the icon image associated with program being alerted about, and receive Windows File Properties dialog with details for the file in question.

PluginTheme-It!-x64.dll

Filesize: 39.5KB
    MD5 Hash: e72f9032df45fbfa2c92356c35052504
    Download: http://www.QueensCountyPCTech.ca/Phant0m/Looknstop_Plugins.php?get=PluginTheme-It!-x64.dll
    PluginTheme-It!-x86.dll

Filesize: 32KB
    MD5 Hash: 18f91f38ede23e79f20563d753b49eb6
    Download: http://www.QueensCountyPCTech.ca/Phant0m/Looknstop_Plugins.php?get=PluginTheme-It!-x86.dll

3. Phant0m

Here shown with the images below, visual issues that I'm in reference to with Look 'n' Stop own Application-filtering Alert screens.

FireFox_Conn.png FireFox_AppStart.png

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im just revisiting looknstop,and using your plugin.It works very nicely.I like the splash of colour and new font so thank you for this release. .Now if only main interface could be touched up too :)

5. Phant0m

Thank you for your feedback, ellison64.

What could be done through plugin interface;

For instances; No problem to have my own screen to be called for controlling, maintaining list of applications. Already considered this, .. through the use of systray access, with my own icon. Or the undesirable lengthily approach via Look 'n' Stop plugin area and clicking on the plugin configure button.

For Internet Filtering, making or editing rules, I can make my own Rule Edition screens to replace Look 'n' Stop existing interface ... like how Raw Rule Edition plugin works.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Phant0m - Thanks for your efforts to keep LnS alive. I still have my license in case I ever go back. It was one nice little firewall especially with your ruleset.

7. Phant0m

Thanks G1111. It is indeed a very nicely done-up, small personal software firewall. It is true that sometimes good things, does come in small packages. With very powerful packet-filtering capabilities, with extensive controls .. while incredibly easy on system performance.

Look 'n' Stop main interface may not be modern and all that pretty, but I think it offers simplicity for the most part ... except for its rule creation for the average Joe. For Look 'n' Stop GUI, it would be nice to see it support modern Windows themes. To many classic dull edges.. :p ___ My plugin previous to being plugged into Look 'n' Stop, my alert screens was with modern-look and really nice. However being plugged into in executable that's forced classic-XP theme, the plugin shares the same dull classic-XP theme for gadget creations (... fields, boxes, buttons.) I could have independently themed differently, but It would have required manually applying to each and every gadget used on the window. I anyways like also the ' new-old ' look.

What should be updated, is also what I'm worried about not being done. Windows 10 will be giving for free for the first year after the official release to those whom with Windows 8.x and even the older Windows 7. I'm planning on switching from Windows 7 to Win10. While I don't know for certain exactly what all exists for incompatibility issues running Look 'n' Stop under Windows 8.x. I know that TDI & NDIS Intermediate (or NDIS IM) features are deprecated. NDIS Lightweight Filter (LWF) for Vista and higher, replaces NDIS IM. MAC_FRAME layer callout in Windows 8 and later. Alternatively Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) instead of TDI, LWF or (MAC_FRAME layer callout with Windows 8 and later.)

These changes gives us better system stability and better system and Internet performances. In addition to better hardware coverage. Take for instance 3G Mobile Broadband devices using NDIS 6.2+, Look 'n' Stop won't support.

When Windows 10 finally is officially released, I don't know if any part of Look 'n' Stop will still function.

Top priority would be to make it support Windows 10, or fully support Windows 8.x if it doesn't already.

I would then like to see more convenience from interacting with the GUI. Remembering last used TAB (like ' Log ' when viewed.) Comprehensive rule edition, for the average person, however already possible to address this via plug-in usage. I think the rule edition currently, is very overwhelming to the average fellow. Well in all fairness, with extensive abilities understandably follows confusion.

... there's my rant – long time coming! :rolleyes:

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

All the best in your efforts to revitalise this dinosaur....I hope it helps reinvigorate the sales of your rules sets. :)

9. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hi Phant0m,

Thanks a lot for your ongoing support of LnS! - It is still a very useful piece of software on Win7 machines and the only reason for me to keep one copy of this OS.
    However, I mostly left Windows as my host OS and found a new home in Linux and yes, in MacOS.

Do you know, if there is any contact to Frederic or the current owner of the source code? To further develop LnS with respect to Win10 is essential as you already pointed out. We need "someone" to work on this very soon!

It's a pity. To me this few lines of code made an incredible efficient software firewall. Isn't there any company that imagines the power of this program??

Thomas :)

10. Phant0m

How did you come to the conclusion that my P. Ruleset sales need reinvigorating? :p However, thanks. :)

I can't say much for Windows 8.x and using Look 'n' Stop, I'm not familiar with any issues. However with Windows 10, I'm fairly certain things will be broken. If someone is about to buy Look 'n' Stop and planning on upgrading to Windows 10 when it officially released or sometime in the near future... I in good conscience, couldn't recommend. If you using Windows 7 or older, and not planning on upgrading in the near future, I see absolutely nothing wrong to that.

I'm not going to tell anybody what is in-store for Look 'n' Stop, and if it has a bright future. It's not my place to say regardless.

What needs to be done in Look 'n' Stop, to have it support future Windows, involves a bit of work. Then to release the updated version of Look 'n' Stop, likely involves some money besides. Looking at the digital signature for Look 'n' Stop, I say it was last digitally signed <= 2009. ' Cheap Code Signing ' now costs $180/year. It has to support kernel-mode signing for Look 'n' Stop drivers. I think it's safe to say that Frederic would need to pay out again to have his software digitally signed. So who will contribute to the Look 'n' Stop collection-plate? :D

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure that Frederic still has ownership of the source-code for Look 'n' Stop product. I can't speculate to say there hasn't been any offers placed, to buy Look 'n' Stop source-code. In-fact, whose to say that some parts wasn't already sold to be used in other products? Considering we haven't heard about anyone buying the Look 'n' Stop source-code, It's safe to assume that Frederic isn't quite through with this project. If, when, ... could be looking at another 10-20 years more.

This all is unfortunate, because I really love the Look 'n' Stop product.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. Phant0m

Update available.

When using Look 'n' Stop Advanced mode, and alert screen for app launching another app. When file paths are very lengthy, the checkboxes wouldn't properly move below of the bottom file path box.

Version 0.01

PluginTheme-It!-x64.dll

Filesize: 39.5KB
    MD5 Hash: 871599b32f1ec91411b72580f6701002
    Download: http://www.QueensCountyPCTech.ca/Phant0m/Looknstop_Plugins.php?get=PluginTheme-It!-x64.dll
    PluginTheme-It!-x86.dll

Filesize: 32KB
    MD5 Hash: f2485914a45c9930ff454070cbdf95c6
    Download: http://www.QueensCountyPCTech.ca/Phant0m/Looknstop_Plugins.php?get=PluginTheme-It!-x86.dll

12. pjoter

pjoter Registered Member

Phant0m: Have you decided which firewall for Windows 10 yet? Because the release is near!
    As far i can tell, the only lightweight firewall in a LnS tradition is TinyWall, or am i wrong?

13. merklijm

merklijm Registered Member

Hi Phantom,
    Years ago you made a very nice set of rules, is it sill available somewhere?
    Me too i would like to test again the dinosaur with my lifetime licence ...
    merci d'avance!

14. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

http://www.queenscountypctech.ca/Phant0m/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.