The unofficial Shadow Defender Support Thread.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 14, 2011.

1. logon

logon Registered Member

Sorry IF I didn't realize I went so far off topic, I don't even feel like I was the first or the only one.
    Anyway, thanks for the kind invitation.
    Cheers

2. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Sorry, got carried away.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Off topic remarks removed. The topic is Shadow Defender.

As a long time and current user of Shadow Defender I would prefer this thread stayed open..

4. logon

logon Registered Member

@sdmod

Thanks to your mention about Shadow Defender version 1.4.0.519 I replaced my current version (680) and tried it.
    For a whole week I intensively tested "everything" and I can say that I'm very satisfied because in my opinion the 519 did not show even the slightest glitch and runs wonderfully fluid also in the excellent way in which it manages the virtual memory.

I also tried to mount and edit rather heavy images with GImageX and everything was always fast, fluid and without any issue whatsoever.

With 519 version, my predilection for "less is more" is confirmed because in my opinion if you take a piece of software that works flawlessly and start modifying it with a myriad of "improvements" you can run the risk of losing the essence of the original project, with possible consequences.

From what I could see, considering that I don't care about the possible vulnerabilities of a brilliant program that only requires a careful vision of the so-called "security" and a related knowledge of what software can and cannot offer, version 1.4.0.519 - maintaining 2 great advantages that none of the competitors offer at the moment - has everything I need and is enough for me and seemed solid as a rock.

Many thanks for mentioning it, I can say that thanks to that it was really worth participating in this thread.

5. sdmod

@logon
    Thanks for your kind and interesting comment.

Patrick (sdmod

6. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Just an encouragement for those who possibly hesitate to buy a license:

Today I bought one more license of Shadow Defender via its homepage (https://www.shadowdefender.com/) and both purchasing and registration worked perfectly. :)

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

It's not surprising, if the website is up and running why wouldn't be available the shopping registration system?

8. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Where can one find and download Shadow Defender version 1.4.0.519?

Thank you.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Code:
    https://www.upload.ee/files/16728998/SD1.4.0.519_Setup.exe.html

10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

11. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Thank you both!

12. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

To date, Shadow Defender and Sandboxie have been easily in my top 5 discoveries posted here on WSF. Roughly a year and-a-half ago I switched to another app strictly due to SD's lack of updates. Sad, because SD never failed me; not once, not ever.
    According to Softpedia, SD's last update was "Aug 2, 2020." Probably nothing to break out in a cold sweat about vs an AV/AM app. Still... perhaps the $0.13 cents question is when even a legend as SD eventually gets to the point of being considered abandonware.
    Compatibility with Windows 12 may be the ultimate answer.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

LOL then don't ditch it. Some here are still using it even on Windows 11.

14. Lagavulin16

So gratified that I amused you hopefully to the point of being tickled pink. My main usage of Shadow Defender was with experimental apps downloads.
    Reboot. Done deal. And then in my opinion it was a safer roll of the dice to go with Deep Freeze Standard updated as recently as Dec 1, 2023.
    So, by all means, have a few more chuckles and a barrel of laughs while you're at it. As always, glad to oblige.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  15. logon

logon Registered Member

In my modest experience if a program still run flawlessly in my environment then I'm not looking for anything else since I really like old and simple programs.
    So, if my preferred program still runs flawlessly in my system then regularly updates could be only a my "psychological need", which if confirmed it would be equally a respectable choice, of course.

Anyway, I understand your choice in favor of Deep Freeze because it seems to works very solid, although I didn't understand in which context it would be "safer" than Shadow Defender given the reason you said you use it, which by the way are partly mine too.
    When/if you look at DF change-log it is really impressive to me to learn how many bugs are fixed with each build-update and however how many still remain to be solved every time.
    It's not very encouraging in my view, even if their it appears as a more than honest behaviour.

Anyway a major bug they still haven't been able to solve is getting their program to work by running a VHD, so at least for me it remains a no-go choice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  16. Lagavulin16

"...."psychological need"...."
    No. Updates are crucial to overall system security. I am not a therapist, but methinks a blue screen that never stops after multiple reboots may be cause for distress. Full stop.

"When/if you look at DF change-log it is really impressive to me to learn how many bugs are fixed with each build-update and however how many still remain to be solved every time."
    Please be specific by citing the issues unresolved and the sources of your claim that Faronics fails to rectify "many bugs."

"It's not very encouraging in my view, even if their it appears as a more than honest behaviour."
    Seriously? :eek:

"Anyway a major bug they still haven't been able to solve is getting their program to work by running a VHD, so at least for me it remains a no-go choice."
    And does SD accomplish this apparently quintessentially critical feat?

Sidebar to the Mods--- No intention here to drag this thread out to an A to B comparison between DF and SD.
    Yet post #6790 seems to be skewed in a number of obvious ways. Any other posters here that use DF may appreciate any feedback the previous poster may have to offer in response to my reasonable request for clarifications.

17. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

They are crucial to overall system security in case that they are necessary for overall system security. In other words: in case that without the update overall system security is no longer ensured.

E.g.:
    But you never had such an experience with Shadow Defender, as you wrote above:
    Or do you know about any other security risk caused by SD because of a "missing" update? I think we would have heard about it - especially here in the Forum - if such an issue had occurred.

So it seems that SD is the rare example of a software that works flawlessly without the need of frequent (let alone regular) updates.

18. logon

logon Registered Member

Really?!?

You seem unnecessarily aggressive and when you speak it seems like you are convinced that you have the truth in your pocket.
    Here we share ideas and experiences, we do not engage in childish battles and do not invoke the intervention of moderators.
    Learn to stay in a Community!

19. logon

logon Registered Member

I don't agree, but thanks for your appreciated and smart reply.

However, I think what you said about updates being needed is much more relevant to the OS rather than a program.
    The same program which - I think - is asking too much.
    In my view a program can't save one from the big bad wolf in the dark, but one's "head" can.
    Assuming one has one.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I was unsure where to post this either in the Win 11 thread or here.
    I have a mystery, a big one.
    30 minutes ago I started my Win 11 laptop up only to find that Shadow Defender has vanished. I mean really vanished. Nothing in Downloads. No setup.exe. No Program Files, no reg entry... nothing. It's almost as though I used it on itself.
    I use it quite regularly on Win 11
    I have 2 keys and a free version (I have 3 machines in the house) At the moment I cannot remember which machine has which on it.

At the moment I am at a bit of a loss to explain it.
    I checked in case Win Defender had taken it but it didn't.

Any ideas anyone?

21. sdmod

@stapp

I've never come across this issue before.
    Which version of Shadow Defender are you using?
    Is any other program missing from your Windows 11 computer?
    Can you see any trace of Shadow Defender in safe mode?
    I'm not sure if there is 'safe mode' in Windows 11
    Did your free version of Shadow Defender have an expiry date or conditions?
    As far as I remember the free versions didn't have an expiry date and were free..
    Has your Windows 11 recently had 'updates'?

I suggest that if you continue not to see Shadow Defender, that you install using one of your paid version serial numbers and a fresh version of the Shadow Defender installation setup file.
    Let us/me know what happens.

Patrick

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@sdmod
    Your suggestion of installing and using one of my 2 keys is what I was going to try later. The free version had no time limits if I remember right.

Win 11 is always getting updates !!

I have searched every part of my machine and it's as if SD never existed.

I think it was version 1.5.0.726 on Win 11. I use that on both my Win 10 machines anyway.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Okay I installed using 1.5.0726 and one of the keys.

Gave it a quick test and it's running fine.

Of course I will be keeping a close eye on it :D

Could have been one of the weird computer events without any explanation that we have all had.

24. sdmod

@stapp I'm glad that that you are back up and running.
    I'm guessing maybe a win 11 update or maybe something like a cmos battery, failure/disconnection or hardware glitch.
    Just guessing though. :)
    If you have installed this time with your saved setup file ...if this happens again, maybe use a fresh setup file.
    I get the feeling that it wont happen again.

Patrick

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I've got three explanations for this event that doesn't just happen out of the blue, imho:
    1. Someone did it on purpose.
    2. Windows got restored from an image or own restoring system.
    3. Defender did it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.