The unknown factor

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by north450, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. north450

north450 Registered Member

My internet connection was really slow. Contacted support at vif. http://service.vif.com/ They told me the problem was spyware. Ran ad_aware and other spyware removal tools. A few cookies were found and those were promptly deleted. Problem still contined. Contacted vif again . They told me there was a trojan in my computer.
    Then a week later got a new isp provider and the problem was solved. The majority of times we believe its spyware may be the results of a poor isp provider like vif located in montreal. VIF Internet 35 De Port Royal E suite 120 Montreal QC H3L 3T1 - 514-353-9988 / sans-frais: 888-321-3737.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

An ISP will always try the easy way first : blame the customer as long as possible. All the rest requires too much effort from the ISP.
    So keep the customer busy with removing so called existing malware on his computer.

In your case I would have done a backup of my system first.
    Then do a fresh install of Windows and drivers only.
    Then try my internet connection with MSIE, if it is still unbearable slow, my ISP is the reason, because a fresh install has NO malware and this means that all remarks regarding malware from my ISP are not true anymore.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I thought that only ISP's from my country did such things. Glad to see we are not alone :D

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    A trick: when you call your ISP, tell them you are using Linux. That will frighten them and they will be very friendly and cooperative. As in: Linux geeks cannot be fooled.
    Mrk

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

When I tried that, they said "we offer no support for linux users, please reboot to a Win session".
    It took almost 15 minutes to tell them that the OS had nothing to do, it was a hardware problem (finally they agreed on replacing the modem).

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Works for me ... especially being polite and aggressive in turns, every 2-3 min.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.