The Unbreakable is Broke!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by DVD+R, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Anyway Whatever! :rolleyes: This beloved FDISR has screwed itself up, and I cant fix it. For whatever reason I cant boot into my secondary snapshot I get this error on the bootscreen:

ANCHOR missing
    First Defense-ISR error
    press any key to boot to windows

when I remove it,(program only) and reinstall the error when I try to boot to my secondary is:

_ ~~ missing (whatever _ ~~ means god only knows :blink: )
    First Defense-ISR error
    press any key to boot to windows

So now I have to format and reinstall cause this damn thing didnt save me :mad:

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If that would happen to me, I simply restore an image with ShadowProtect.

I never considered FDISR as unbreakable. ShadowProtect is much harder to break, because it only needs 3 things in an off-line environment.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I never tried any ISR let alone this one, but i bet the problem is on the snapshot, not the program itself - ie, no matter how many times you install it, or what version, the problem remains.

I would email them first before uninstalling.

4. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

From the FD-ISR Manual:
    The FirstDefense-ISR log is a detailed log of all events and errors. You can find this log at:
    <system drive>\$ISR\$LOGS\ISR.log
    Detail logs containing and folders/files processed are at:
    <system drive>\$ISR\$LOGS\xxxxxxxx.log
    Where xxxxxxxx is an incrementing number.

Can you boot from a live CD to read the logs?

ANCHOR missing
    Perhaps this refers to anchored folder(s) that may have been deleted?
    The only reference to 'anchor' I see in the manual is to anchored data.
    If so, restoring the deleted folder may help. (This is a very wild guess :doubt: )

Good Luck!

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What you may need to do is do a complete uninstall removing all the extra snapshots.

What were you doing, or did, when the error first appeared.

One other questions. Do you keep a lot of files in the root directory c:\ ?? There was a bug that should have been fixed....

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Belated Greetings DVD+R

Please take note: No software is 100% immune from malfunction, the causes can fall into infinite ranges of possibilities, "BUT", seems you taken a page from my own book and threw some caution to the wind.

One Word = 100% Solution!

MAINTAIN archives of any and ALL your snapshots while the grass is green and the machine is running right, because they are there for our protection. That's exactly why Leapfrog gave forethought to implimenting that feature. Even FROZEN snapshot cannot save a corrupted installation, not only that but BOTH the $ISR directory AND snapshots "can be compromised and even destroyed"!

"BUT", archives CANNOT! So long as you keep presence of mind when things are running fine to archive (GOLD!) those snapshots to an alternative source like external or internal HD and pull the box out afterwards for emergency, FD-ISR cannot fail. You can wipe & format your HD, install your O/S, then re-install FD-ISR, and use those "saved" archives to 100% completely avert disaster with a perfectly preserved system again.

8. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Sorry to hear that DVD+R, but whoever told you FD-ISR was unbreakable should not have, only Bruce Willis was unbreakable :D. FD-ISR should be used alongside an imaging solution, although I feel you can get away with it as Easter says, I think, if you keep archives on another drive, in such case you will only suffer the time penalty of doing an OS re-install and FD-ISR install before updating from your archives. I have tried this and it works fine, though obviously is more lengthy than simply restoring an image.

P.S. sorry, this assumes you are using a version of FD-ISR pre the archive feature removal.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Couldnt create or delete any snapshots, in the end I decided to fresh install, well I had no option to do but such. Word of Caution, should anything weird happen to your system like mine did, Make sure you take a look whos about before Yelling at your PC "YOU STUPID BIATCH!" :cautious: I just screamed it out, unfortunately it was right after the girlfriend had asked me something .amd she came in and punched me on the back of the head :ninja: :rolleyes:

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DVD+R,
    All what you need is good backup plan.
    Since my re-installation from scratch in September, I did everything differently.

1. I installed each snapshot without using FDISR and when the last software was installed and configured, I installed FDISR with one primary snapshot and created an archive and did a backup of that image.

This way I got :
    - the possibility of creating an archive over and over again
    - a fresh installed, UNUSED archive, which has hardly been on-line and perfect for cleaning my actual snapshot in the future.
    - the possibility of upgrading these images and archives and keep its UNUSED status at the same time.

I use these clean images and archives for restoration only and they are saved on my external harddisk and the images are double saved on DVD's.
    Archives aren't saved on DVD's because I can create them over and over again via my images.

2. Then I created my system partition for daily usage and use my clean archives to clean both snapshots as many times I want.
    That's where I learn how to install new software and how to configure them, before I install them permanently in my clean images.

Alot of things have to go wrong, before you can break this setup. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.