The SpywareBlaster Icon - Win 7

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Manny Carvalho, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

This certainly isn't a major problem but it looks to me like there's something odd and perhaps wrong with the SpywareBlaster icon when using Window 7 RTM.

SB installs great and functions well. The icon shows up on the desktop when a shortcut is placed there. However, when I move the shortcut to a folder on the desktop the icon goes away even though it says its present in files properties.

I can change the SB icon to anything else I want and have it working. I can even create one and have it show up. Although I can't create one as good as the original. All other icons for other applications don't do this. It's just the built in SB icon that doesn't work.

I just noticed that if I go to the install folder and send a shortcut of spywareblaster.exe to the desktop the icon also disappears. The icon shown on the desktop was created there originally during the install of SB.

It's odd and maybe the fix is a new icon from Javacool but I would appreciate any comments on this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. Manny Carvalho

Well, darn. I guess I'm unique and this hasn't happened to anybody else. I wonder what is going on.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Apologies for the delay. :)

I've been trying to reproduce this on Windows 7 RTM, and I haven't been able to yet. The icon never disappears here.

It's certainly a strange issue. On the off-chance that some other piece of software is causing the problem (although I can't fathom why something would), would you mind listing the other software you have installed? I'm particularly interested in anything that might be "resident" (running in the background), or that might "hook" into Windows/Explorer.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

4. Manny Carvalho

Thanks for the reply.

Like you I was thinking this has to be some kind of interference from another programs

I know it's a odd issue and probably not one to waste a whole lot of time with it. I've attached a list of my programs from the Programs and Features in Control Panel.

One thing not mentioned there is Ultimate Windows Tweaker. I used it to remove the arrow in the shortcuts and a few other things but not much. I would imagine this program might be the likely culprit among the ones listed.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

In the meanwhile I've replaced the icon with something else I created so a solution isn't critical. That works perfectly fine. And there's no issues at all with SB. It works just fine otherwise.

However, this is just weird and the SpywareBlaster icon is the only one which shows this kind of behavior.

Thanks for looking into it but as I said don't spend a whole lot of time with this. However, if you have any ideas that you'd like me to try I'm willing.

Attached Files:

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just curious, is the non-standard install to P: drive always excessable ?

6. Manny Carvalho

Yes it is. It's just another partition on the drive where the system is installed and where I put my programs. I keep just the things that relate to the system directly on C everything else goes to other partitions.

7. Manny Carvalho

Well, I hate to report this because I have no explanation but today, while working on something totally different, I used, by random chance, the SpywareBlaster shortcut to demonstrate something else. Lo and behold the icon stayed and is behaving normally. I dragged it all over the place and it work lovely as it always has.

The image below shows the same desktop folder that I started this thread with but with a few more things in it now.

Why this self healing fix o_O Don't know, don't care but I'm glad it's back. I hope it stays fixed.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to read about this silly little problem.

Attached Files:

• SB.gif
      SB.gif
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  8. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

think it might've just been an icon cache issue? (I know when some people use Windows XP with shell patchers, the icon cache needs to be regenerated so that the new resources display properly. Though, I am not sure if that is your case.)

9. nroehl

nroehl Registered Member

I have the same problem, did you every find a solution or a cause?

10. Manny Carvalho

I never found a solution. I'm not sure why it impacted just the SB icon. It probably was some sort of corruption in the icon cache. It's been fine since my last post.

You can clear the cache by deleting the corresponding database file. This is done by typing the following in the command line: DEL IconCache.db /a It's a hidden file located in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local folder

More details: http://www.winvistaclub.com/t71.html

You might want to try that.

11. nroehl

nroehl Registered Member

12. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

on my win 7 ultimate 32 bit the icon is ok

13. Manny Carvalho

I know this will come as a surprising bit of news to you but not every machine, even those with the same apparent configuration, behave the same. It's no surprise then that your SB icon doesn't misbehave. After all, even the makers of the program couldn't reproduce this behavior.

14. TeXaCo

TeXaCo Registered Member

I run Windows 7 Pro and I have had this issue of missing icons at certain times. I don't believe it has to do with spyware blaster or any other specific program. It seems to be on random programs at times. It might have to do with the icon cache but at present all my icons are working properly.

It's very frustrating when one or two icons disappear for no apparent reason

15. Manny Carvalho

I won't vouch that this is a cure but I reset both my paging file and system restore points and other icon anomolies went away.

I was actually working on something else and reset both of these things at the same time. I doubt that doing both is needed but that's what happened at the time. If I had to do something only I'd reset the paging file first.

The problem I was having was that other icons, in the same folder as the one where SB icon is located, were very slow becoming visible and sometimes just didn't show at all. The default icon was shown instead.

I'm not sure why this has anything to do with anything but I have to say that since I did those two things about two weeks ago all icons are showing up normally with no problems at all.

So there you go. Take it for whatever it's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.