The selected image is not an Acronis True Image archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dhbrantley, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhbrantley

dhbrantley Registered Member

This is not the last created volume of the backup archive.

I have 8 Acronis True Image 9.0 .tif archive files available, but I apparently am unable to restore because the message "This is not the last created volume of the backup archive" shows up on each of the 8 files. The data in these .tif files is very important. Is there a utility that can extract whatever data is in those 8 files? Or, can the files be sent to Acronis and extracted?

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Re: This is not the last created volume of the backup archive.

You say the files are available.

Where, specifically are they?

3. dhbrantley

They are on a backup external harddrive

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Sounds like another Ti driver problem.

Just for fun:

With windows, try copying the tib file folder to a second internal drive, or shared network folder to get away from the way Ti handles certain externals.
    If need be, take the drive out of the external and install on the ide channel.

Then use the boot cd to try the restore.

5. dhbrantley

Thanks, but I did copy the Acronis Restore folder to my second internal harddrive and tried to restore, but same problem. These 8 .tif files are not an image of my C: drive and OS. They are a backup of my second internal harddrive with all of my personal files, photos, etc. That's why I want so badly to be able to restore at least what is there, which I suspect is most everything judging by the size of the files - 8 files at about 1GB each.

6. dhbrantley

Also, don't know if it matters, but I'm using Acronis TI 9.0 Evaluation.

7. dhbrantley

I used TI 9.0 (Evaluation) to backup by second physical harddrive (D:) to an external firewire harddrive. I have 8 .tif files that I cannot restore (using TI 9.0 purchased, latest build) . The error is "The selected image is not an Acronis True Image archive or the file is corrupted. Please, select another file". I am trying to restore in full Windows XP mode from a folder called 'Acronis Backup' on my D: drive.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dhbrantley,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0, boot your computer from it and try to restore the image.

If that does not help, please make screen shots all of your steps in Acronis True Image 9.0 within Windows.

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. teamjd

teamjd Registered Member

I have almost the same problem. I'm using TI 9.0 2323, I have 6 TI backups on an internal drive. I have used these to restore as early as last week. Now, when I try to access any of them , it says "the files are not TI archive files". If I start the computer using the rescue disk, I can access these files and they verify as good. Everything was fine for months with now it's no good...what happened?

I had time to read a few pages further back and found a cure that worked for me. I still don't know what caused it, but now it's fixed. Here is the reference to the post listing the prodcedure that worked for me.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65167

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  10. dhbrantley

I saw that thread and tried it, but no success. However, when I changed folder permissions, it was on the PC D: drive I have a copy of all of my images on D:), not my 250 GB USB external drive, which is where I originally did the backup to. I think I'll try it on my USB drive.

11. noonie

noonie Registered Member

dhbrantley

Try this:

1 Boot with the Ti boot cd to initiate a restore
    2 Find the 8 ffiles you said you put on your internal D drive
    3 Restore to your external usb drive.

If the Ti boot cd does not see your external usb, try this:

1 Copy your 8 Tib files to a folder on your C drive
    2 Empty your D drive of what you want to save to your external usb.
    3 Boot your pc with the Ti boot disk, find your tib files on the C drive folder and aim your restore to your internal D drive.

It doesn't matter if they are a backup of os or data, they restore the same way, although I understand your concern over data.

You must try this by booting your pc with the Ti9 boot cd or Rescue cd, don't start it from windows.

Post back your results and we can go from there.

12. dhbrantley

I can't access my USB drive on the Acronis boot disk, so I can't try the first option. I booted my pc with the Ti boot disk, copied all my .tif file to my C: actually (F:) drive and found the .tif files and tried to restore to D:. Same issue; it says the .tif files are corrupt.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dhbrantley,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic , click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please verify your image integrity by Acronis True Image 9.0 within Windows? Could you please try to plug the image and restore individual files and folders?

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

14. dhbrantley

I am now able to access my USB drive and Acronis images files, but I stll get the same error: "The selected file file is not an Acronis True Image archive, or the file is corrupted. Please, select another file"

I tried to perform an image 'plug' but that doesn't work either.

In summary, I have the same 8 Acronis image files on my C; (actually named F:), D:, and USB external drives. Using Acronis boot, when I try to restore them from any of the 3 drives, I get the same error message described above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.