"The selected file is not an Acronis..."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by elicon200, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elicon200

elicon200 Registered Member

I am using Acronis Trueimage 6 and have never had a problem before. I am getting "The selected file is not an Acronis Trueimage archive" text that shows up in the selection window. I just used this same image last night to retore a partition after extending the partition. Now I after a bad anti-virus software instalation, both image files are no good. The images were kept on an external firewire drive and have confirmed that even moving them to another computer, the message is the same. What is wrong and how could this happen?!?!?!:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello elicon200,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please verify your image integrity by means of Check Image tool?

Please also uninstall your anti-virus software and see whether the problem still persists.

If that does not help, please download and install the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 and see whether the problem remains.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. elicon200

Thanks for the reply, I will try to find the check utility. The problem exists when using my original 6 disk to boot the laptop (since the os is trashed and there is no antivirus at that level) and also on an XP computer with 6 installed.

4. elicon200

Where is this check utility?

5. elicon200

I guess this is part of v.8 or v.9 not v.6 like I have?

6. Acronis Support

Hello elicon200,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm sorry but Acronis True Image 6.0 does not include Check Image tool. Please accept my apologies for the current inconvenience.

Please download Check Image utility and veify the image integrity.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. elicon200

Verifier confirmed NO ERRORS to the image. What next?

Thank you

8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I seem to recall that this problem would surface when selecting the file with the mouse, but if you typed in the file name and path it would work. Try it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  9. Acronis Support

Hello elicon200,

Next, please do the following:

- Download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, try to verify the image having the issue by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool when the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and inform us about the result;

- Create new Bootable Rescue CD using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, boot your computer from this CD, try to restore the image having the issue using Restore Data Wizard and inform us about the result;

- Try connecting your external FireWire drive via USB, if possible, and see if the problem remains. Let us know the result;

- Copy the image having the issue from your external FireWire drive to any internal or\and network drive and try to restore\verify this image once more. Let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. sadasupport

sadasupport Registered Member

I am getting same error message when i try to verify a image that i just created or append to. I have tried two builds so far, same results... It's on a NT 4.0 server box with SP6. Acronis True Image Server ver 9.1 build 3,633. Any idea what the problem may be?

11. Acronis Support

Hello sadasupport,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please describe the issue in more details? Where is the image archive stored (local/external hard drive, CD/DVD disc or another media)? Is the image archive splitted into several parts?

Create new Bootable Rescue CD using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows, boot your computer from this CD, try to verify/restore the image having the issue and inform us about the result. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Copy the image having the issue from its original place to another internal or\and network drive and try to restore\verify this image once more. Let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. sadasupport

sadasupport Registered Member

Basically I am getting the Error message "The selected file is not an Acronis Image" every time I try to verify, mount or restore an image archive.

The backups are going to a Buffalo NAS device, which I have used for other Acronis backups in the past, from different machine (Windows 2000 server with 9.1 server and Windows XP Pro 8.X workstation) without any problems.

Unfortunately I unable to take the server down at this time too verifying from a Bootable Rescue CD. I have tired verify the image from an alternative location and from a different PC running Acronis 8.x workstation and the NT4.0 server with no success today.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  13. Acronis Support

Hello sadasupport,

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that starting with the build 3567 Acronis True Image (all versions) has a new "engine" and, therefore, image archives created with the build lower that 3567 can be restored with the new builds (3567 and higher), however, old builds (lower that 3567, like 2337) are unable to operate with archives created with the builds higer than 3567. The same applies to the image archives created with different versions (8.0 and 9.1).

Therefore, in order to validate the image created with Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows you need to use version 9.1 since version 8.0 may report wrong result.

Please try to create a new image and store it to the internal hard drive using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.