The sad state of Linux desktop diversity

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by longshots, May 17, 2022.

1. longshots

longshots Registered Member

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

3. longshots

And rightly so.
    There's no need to re-invent the wheel, when the one you have available is working perfectly well.

But the problem with transitioning is the number of choices.
    Mac >>> Windows = 1 choice
    Windows >>> Mac = 1 choice
    Mac/Windows >>> Linux = 1111 choices.

Unlike the other operating systems, there are more than 200 different types of Linux [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions] and over 600 Linux distros with about 500 [tecmint.com] in active development.
    Pick one, anyone - they're all great.

The problem is that they aren't all great. The learning curve is much easier with some - Mint or Ubuntu.
    ***** This is where all the fanboys of the other varieties jump in - Zorin, Elementary OS, Linux Lite, MX, etc.
    Yes, we are aware of all the arguments, BUT THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT THE BEST LINUX OS FOR NEWBIES! *****

It's about the overwhelming number of choices available and just how difficult that may be.
    Obviously a Google search will help with their search and will reduce that number to two, so let's just go with that.

BUT, any of the first 10 choices will all do the job without to much hassle.
    The real hassle begins when they start using it.
    Download a programme - certainly, no problem - did you want that in Flatpak, Snap, Tar.gz, Appimage or Deb?

Newbies head has just exploded!

Linux, in many cases, is like trying to learn how to drive a manual car after a lifetime of being in an automatic.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

... And perhaps a manual gearbox with no synchromesh?

5. longshots

Like my old Roadranger 13 speed...:thumb:

6. Gringo95

Gringo95 Registered Member

Pizza sir, certainly. Would you like a thin base, deep pan, cheese crust or extra topping?

It’s all about choice and not how much time any one individual might wish to allocate to learning Linux.
    I’ve often said there are too many options among both distros and desktops but spending just part of the average person’s social media or gaming time trialing some live session of Linux will easily enable them to match something suitable to their needs.

Choosing holidays and medical plans can also be overwhelming but most of us manage to get there in the end.

7. longshots

That's what I said!

But the problem with transitioning is the number of choices.
    Mac >>> Windows = 1 choice
    Windows >>> Mac = 1 choice
    Mac/Windows >>> Linux = 1111 choices

It's not just a matter of let's load it up and have a look.
    The newbie may not like their first 3 attempts at Linux unless they're trying Mint - using that as an example because the desktop layout is immediately familiar to newbies.
    And then that is just step 1 in a sometimes difficult transition.

8. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It's no secret that I.e. Arch or Gentoo are not for Linux newbie... Some people insist that they are not newbies even though they are installing Linux for the first time in their lifes and install it anyway. Do Linux community really needs that kind of people in their ranks?

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but although I've had a Linux only PC for a few years now I take offence. I get the impression that only 'expert' Linux users have a place in "their ranks". I am no Linux expert and can't see me ever graduating to that level. Should I just give up?? Reinstall Windows and follow the herd?

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree that some of those who try Linux sometimes make 2 errors: (a) They overrate their computer know-how, &/or (b) They select a "difficult" distro due to insufficient research. And, yes, they often blame Linux for those errors. It's like saying, "I screwed up and Linux is to blame."

In a way, that situation often arises because of what @longshots has written:
    With so many Linux distros, it is all too easy for a novice to make a wrong choice for getting started.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

This attitude is one of the reasons that limit Linux diffusion: the idea that Linux is not an OS for everyone, but only for initiated users that can program and develop it. That is the contrary of the original idea of an open and democratic OS.

12. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I can't speak for reasonablePrivacy, but as he wrote 'I.e. Arch or Gentoo are not for Linux newbie' and 'Some people insist that they are not newbies even though they are installing Linux for the first time in their lifes and install it anyway', for it I read Arch or Gentoo. I think it's right to say that Arch or Gentoo are not a good choice for Linux newbies, installing Linux for the first time in their lives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.