The Promise-& Problems- Of The New Windows Update, Windows Update

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by the mul, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I got version 5 a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know it was a beta version. I had clicked on a link in thread at dslreports and was not told I was installing a beta version. It works fine for me on XP Pro. The first thing I did was turn off the auto updates. I like that you can now hide a hotfix, or any update that you choose to not install, so you are not bugged to install it every time go to WU although you are reminded that you have xxx update hidden each time you go there. I am able to also access version 4 and I have had both versions open at the same time downloading from both! Version 5 sure bugs you to install XP SP2. Says it's a critical update. I'm not going anywhere near that service pack for a loooong time.

Ugh. I just learned that WU5 says I have no history. My history on this box all the way back to November 2003 when I got this new box did not carry over from version 4 to version 5. :( I accessed version 4 again but when I checked history there it said I had never downloaded anything from WU! Double ugh. Then version 4 proceeded after a scan to tell me I have a failed hotfix from July 14 install and offered it to me. That would be ok except version 5 had just a few minutes before offered me the same failed hotfix again (Vulnerability in Windows Shell) and I had reinstalled it from version 5 of WU. So, how come later, version 4 runs a scan and says the hotfix is failed? Now I don't know if it is installed properly or not!

So, I would say differently than I did earlier. I am having plenty of problems with WU 5. I guess my history is gone forever.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.