The privilege escalation poll

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you ever seen a client-side attack attack on a desktop (e.g. drive-by install) invoke a privilege escalation vulnerability? i.e. seen admin access gained when the attack was on a limited account?

If so:
    - Was a payload involved?
    - Was the system up to date?
    - Were you doing something generally considered risky when the attack occurred?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to make this a poll. D'oh!

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Never on my system. But many times, yes. I've seen basic stuff like bypassing UAC when Windows 7 had just come out. There was an Adobe sandbox bypass being used actively in the wild not long ago.

That's it though. I don't do computer cleanup stuff anymore, so I don't see much malware in the real world as a consequence. I obviously don't get infected either, as I take considerable steps to make that difficult.

3. I'll admit I've never seen a privilege escalation attack. Actually the only times my systems have been compromised (that I know of) involved running as admin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.